Ipod Touch as PDA?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dipperdan, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Dipperdan macrumors newbie

Hi, I am looking into purchasing a 2g Ipod Touch, mainly for PDA purposes. The various apps available now have swayed me toward buying. I would appreciate any comments on this subject. I am also forked over which model to purchase. I don't see myself listening to much music or watching too many videos on the device. Should I still play it safe and buy a 16gb model anyways? Apps don't eat away memory too much, do they?

I appreciate any replies.

2. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I use my 1G iPod Touch 16GB almost exclusively as a PDA, and it works very well.

Remember that it can do anything an iPhone can do except cellular, GPS, and built-in mic.

3. Philz macrumors member

If your not using music or videos. Go with 8 gb. I've yet to install an app bigger than 120mb's. Also Apple limits them to 2 gb's but even then only type of app that be that big is either GPS with maps or one hell of a long game.

Just remember, your getting an iPod Touch. I find it hard to belive people don't eventually put music on it. ;)

Even my dear mother did! After a grand total of 3 weeks without she did on her iPhone.

4. OnTheiTouch2G macrumors member

Forgive me, but I have always used/thought of PDAs as devices you can easily take in notes on. I will tell you - the touch's key pad takes some getting used to, its not something that you will be able to input alphapetical/numerical info very quickly.

Other than that, it should suit your needs perfectly.

5. Dipperdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for the helpful replies.

I was leaning toward the 16gb simply because I think I would eventually begin to use the media capabilities of the device. The post addressing the speed of inputting information is a little distressing. I see myself as using the device to input information at work, school in less than a minute. Won't I eventually figure the keyboard out to easy typing, such as inputting : " Batch of 16 pound sausage- expires 10-6." in less than a minute into a reminder app? My purchase drive for the touch still exists, but it's a little more cautious. Any comforts on the typing speed issue?

6. pdwyer macrumors newbie

I bought an 8GB 2nd gen on Friday, as a plan on using it quite frequently as a PDA in addition to using it for movies & music. I'm a dad of 3, so I'm already finding it invaluable as a device to use for email, internet and some of the apps on iTunes for making life much easier. I figured too that I would be using it for music & movies (just used Handbrake over the weekend to add Miracle...couldn't be easier!), but didn't need to take my entire iTunes library with me. The keypad took some adjusting to at first, but then again what new devices don't? For your purpose, I think it will be just fine.

7. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I have been using ipod touch as a PDA for almost a year now (obviously 1G) and I love it. It is convienent, practical, and it is beautiful.

I would suggest - especially if you have a mac - getting MobileMe. This $99 per year ($79 at amazon) makes everything always in sync. As was mentioned above, the iPod touch isn't the most practical to take notes on or enter events on, but if you're in front of a computer, you can enter stuff in ical (or mobileme.com or outlook on a PC) and 15 minutes later it appears on your ipod touch. It works vice versa, too. Also works with contacts.

I find myself almost never needing to connect my ipod touch to the computer - everything syncs wirelessly, so why bother? I use an AC Adapter to charge it from the wall outlet. The only reason to sync with itunes is to get updated software or to add new/different music or videos.

8. OnTheiTouch2G macrumors member

you'll be able to type that in less than a minute after some practice. The simple fact that it's a touch screen and not an actual button makes it different... Because you can't actually feel yourself pressing the buttons.

I estimate I typed the above in about 1min45secs.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you have the money for a 16gb I would just go ahead and get that. You will never know if you might want to put some music or a couple of movies on it for that long plane flight or car ride. You will be glad that you did. I have a 16gb and I adore it.

10. Dipperdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the extra support everyone. I'm going to purchase the 16gb 2g and hopefully my expectations will be surpassed.