iPod Touch as PDA

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mattyb240, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I know this question has been asked, and I have searched as well as looking through the first 10 pages of posts.

My Situation:
    Third Year Uni Student/Freelancer

I want to use the touch as a portable document reader, as well as having my calender contacts etc sync with my MBP. Ideally I would like to have my large collection of PDF documents on their to reference quickly for guides and tips. I have read several ways of doing it through different apps etc, but just wondering where these are stored on the touch..e.g. how you access them or where they are located.

My phone does not sync well with MBP an I can't really find anything that matches up to the interface with the touch. I want to have my email on the go, I could pay an extra 5GBP on my mobile contract to recieve emails, but it still isn't the best for viewing them.

I just wanted some opinions and views from people who perhaps use their touch in this way? Or any other feedback or suggestions.

Thanks

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Get AirSharing or Briefcase or Files, etc etc.. to view your PDFs on the go.

3. mattyb240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Those were some of the applications I was looking at.

I was just curious to see peoples views using them in every day life:)

4. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I use Briefcase. It looks great and really utilizes the whole OS feel. Give it a spin.

5. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I use my touch as a PDA as well-for word processing tasks, I use TextGuru.

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I thought that that would be a good use for the Touch (I had one anyway) and I've been using FileMagnet to view pdf files.

My opinion is mixed. It works OK - but starts running out of memory quicky for pdf files over about 1.5MB (I'm looking at public transport maps, so quite detailed and graphic intensive).

For keyboard input I don't really like the virtual keyboard either. It's OK for a quick note, but I hated it for even moderate sized email replies.

In the end, I just gave up on it and bought a netbook (I got the Dell Mini Inspiron). XP sucks, but I spend most of my time inside Firefox, so it's not a big deal. I find it a lot more productive platform for work on the move.

Apple really needs to release a netbook!

7. mattyb240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone some interesting replies,

My main thing would be email replies, and I would rely quite heavily on PDF documents, but most of them are text with simple diagrams. Text editing would be good for basic word and excel just doing a bit of research into it now.

Ideally I would love to have an Iphone as an all in one solution but that wont be happening any time soon.