iPod Touch as portable Recorder

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shigzeo, Jan 21, 2008.

1. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

I know that people are working on making this into a voip device, but as pretty much every other prior apple ipod has had audio line in from quite a dedicated line, I was wondering if any of my fellow touchers have heard news of how or if any progress is being made towards this. I frequent concerts of friends and do nature recording and would love to hook this up to my mic and amplifier for a huge battery of recording space (imagine 16gb). With the dedicated audio in that I am sure there is, with the right software on this thing, the Touch could be an amazing recorder.

Sorry for another obscure post as before, I posted about the 720 wide video - basically hoping some sort of update would allow this made toy to play dvd-resolution files so that i would not have to reconvert for those times i watch out side of my touch (pretty much all the time)

cheers

2. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

It sounds like it would be possible but is Dependant on what :apple: decides to do as far as the SDK is concerned and what sort of access it gives developers to the os. Its one of those wait and see things.

This is one of two major features the ipod is currently lacking over other mp3 player devices currently on the market. I know few players offhand that have line-inputs for audio recording(creative, samsung). The other major feature not as important is an FM tuner which just about any player has besides the ipod.

3. shigzeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

but creative, cowon etc do not usually have much codec support. i have cowon and it only supports wma recording. my sony supports pcm! at full 16 bit resolution which is great, but it is a sony player meaning i can only use windows with it and currently, it will not work properly in vmware - so after a recording, i have to manually then record it with audacity in osx.

i would love native pcm recording to fill up that lusious flash disk! yes, please apple, let this thing become what it can become - a professional device as well as a very good performing pmp

4. herve5 macrumors newbie

There is a command-line utility, I think

The guys at TouchMods (the ones offering the VoIP) have issued a separate application that handles sound in, IIRC. I don't remember what they are doing with it, though: recording not sure. And currently it's a very basic, command-line application I fear.
    But as they are very active, you should go there and ask.
    http://touchmods.wordpress.com/

5. shigzeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

cheers