iPod touch as storage

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by potatis, Aug 20, 2011.

1. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

I was thinking of purchasing an usb stick to put my music on, separate from movies which I keep on a hard drive, but came to think that it would not be much more expensive to buy a used iPod touch for that price. There are programs that let you use the media partition as storage I understand.

So can I play the files directly with iTunes if I do this, and would it be the same as if I synced them? I also want to be able to use Airplay if I do this.
    What are the chances of the iPod screwing up and all my files are lost? I would of course move the files temporarily to the computer if I did something like upgrade iOS. Or is it better to just sync through iTunes, and then get the files back to the computer with these programs?

2. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Never seen a 200 dollar USB stick so I'm not sure how it would be the same price to get an iPod touch or a USB stick. USB sticks are pretty cheap. I'm sure you can pick up a few that have a few gigs on them.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You have to jailbreak the iPod Touch to use it as storage. It is not a practical way to store stuff. Just get a USB stick or two; much cheaper.

4. potatis thread starter macrumors 6502a

potatis

Yeah, but I got 64GB of music, it would cost at least $100?

5. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

Phhpht. Starting price for iPod = 150 bucks or more. Buy a USB. Don't waste money if you don't truly need all the features unless it's cheaper than the stick, and plus I'm a huge person on the someone-might-need-it-more-than-you thing.

64 GB iTouch = 250 Bucks used, lower if you're a lucky guy on eBay
    Lexar JumpDrive TwistTurn USB flash drive - 64 GB = 70 Bucks

iPod Touch Jailbreak Process To Get A File/Holder = A pain in the butt
    USB Stick Load Time = Absolutely nothing, a click of a Ctrl key and a click of a mouse

Save your money and your time.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

probably not one of your better ideas

7. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

*Applauds*

8. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Probably around that, but you couldn't find iPods that cheap. It would be much more practical to just use a USB or maybe an external hard drive.