iPod Touch back separating

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by drmario, Aug 1, 2008.

1. drmario macrumors member

The back of my iPod touch is separating from the front. On the bottom right corner you can feel (and see) the aluminum backing sticking out slightely. Its also bumping out on the top of the iPod (near the plastic wifi cover). I took it to the apple store a few month ago about it and he said it wasn't covered under warrenty. However since then the bumper out part has become much more pronounced. I also noticed today that it's not only bumping out but it's also separating slightely from the back. Should I try going to the genius bar again and demand a refund? I haven't been rough with my iPod at all. There are no dents on it and the screen is fine. What do you guys think? btw I posted this from my iPod, I'll try to take a pic later.

EDIT
    I just noticed that on the top corner there is now a visible space in between the aluminum and black layers. When you press them together they actually move.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's not possible for anyone to give you a refund for something like that. Plus, they already looked at it and determined it's user damage, unfortunately.

You can try again. If you ask nicely you MIGHT have a small chance of getting lucky.

3. drmario thread starter macrumors member

I'll probably do that, but the back separating seems like a defect in 'material or workmanship' to me. If they don't say yes I'll probably try to argue my point.

4. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Yeah. Just be nice, polite etc. But chances are, no potato for you.

5. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

6. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Like Dalton said in Roadhouse, "Just be nice."
    If that doesn't work sell it on eBay and buy the new one.

7. drmario thread starter macrumors member

Not a bad idea....

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I have the exact same problem, this is my second iPod touch and was a replacement from Apple (refurb I guess) when my first one wasn't working properly. The entire top of the iPod's back, save the corner opposite the Wi Fi receiver, sticks out very noticeable. The same also happens to the bottom half of the back on the same side as the receiver. I actually am considering taking it back, because it was already covered in scratches (even on the screen itself) when I received it from the store; despite the fact it had all the normal plastic protectors you'd expect on a new electronic device when I got it, the fact it was already to covered in scratches, as well as the backcase problem, is really perplexing me.

9. drmario thread starter macrumors member

I'm hoping I can make them take it back. I understand why they wouldn't take back a scratched up iPod since that just happens from normal use, but the back isn't supposed to start falling off.

10. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

what's the prob here ?

I took mine apart and it was fine from the start. I just wanted to see for myself what makes it tick. I removed the back like in the video I posted broke it all down and put it back together. If your having just a case problem I don't see what's holding you back from fixing it your self. If I can take everything in my touch apart and put it back together with no prob I'm sure you can fix the case comming apart.

And I posted this frm the iPod I took apart and it's working like new !! :)

11. drmario thread starter macrumors member

Voiding my warranty. :p

12. mooreman macrumors newbie

I see nobody has mentioned this, but in case all else fails, you can always put the iPod in a snap together case like I bought for mine at the beginning and not only would it keep your iPod together, you wouldn't notice the edges being separated anyway. Not a "fix" per se, but an option of last resort if all else fails.

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It will be rather hard, considering it looks more as if the back is somehow expanding height and width-wise rather than simply separating.

14. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

Sorry your post said it wasn't covered.

15. drmario thread starter macrumors member

Well that was just me going in and showing it to them. Its gotten worse now though. Before it was just bumping out slightely, but not separating.