Ipod Touch Background

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jman800, Sep 19, 2008.

1. jman800 macrumors regular

Okay so for those of us who didn't jailbreak our ipod touch's, Will we ever get the option to change the background? Background meaning the black empty landscape behind all your apps. I heard apple was going to give us the option to change it in the future or maybe i heard wrong. So is this going to happen?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    no one knows for sure. I don't particularly care, because mine is pwned. But i'd be nice for the standard ipod user.

3. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, Also, isn't there a big update coming in January? It told me that after buying the App store upgrade

4. kingballin20 macrumors regular

kingballin20

when did it say that?

5. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought i remembered it saying, Buying this also entitles you for receiving the January update. Something like that, I'm pretty sure i saw that.

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Yeah the january update was the one that came out at the beginning of the yeah and enabled wiggly icons and other things.

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

As has been said it refers to the January Software Upgrade from earlier this year. In other words you got Mail, Stocks, Weather, Notes, Maps, lyrics and the ability to move icons around on the home screen.

9. DesignatedAngel macrumors newbie

DesignatedAngel

Yeah, I want backgrounds as I like unique, custom iPods. Was one of the reasons I tried to jailbreak on 1.1.4, but something went wrong and I've updated to 2.0 to stop myself trying again...

Yes, safe and legal way to customize please.

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

jailbreaking is perfectly legal. You own the device and can do whatever you want to it. The only illegal thing would be if you posted copyrighted code on the internet. Plus, pwning your ipod with quick pwn is pretty much fool proof, and if anything went wrong you could always ask us folks here at MacRumors for help, and we'd help you resolve the issue.

11. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

Ohh. Don't I feel stupid now. Haha, Thanks for pointing that out though.

12. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

It voids warranty though. But you can always restore it.

13. Paul R macrumors newbie

Paul R

I have not hacked mine because I don't want to void the warranty. However, if I do restore the settings then there's no way for Apple to know it was hacked?

14. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

Woh.... not the setting but the whole thing. I think there's a restore button on itune and it resets your ipod to factory condition (empty). I've never jailbroken mine either but thats what everyone's saying.

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Actually regardless of whether or not you do a full restore, the iPod always keeps a record of everything that was on it, which can be viewed by Apple if it's ever sent or taken in for service...someone posted about it a few weeks ago where a kid tried to get a Genius to look at his iPod, and the records showed he had once had Springboard installed.

Ah, here we go:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6135928&postcount=4

16. Paul R macrumors newbie

Paul R

PHEW! I'm glad I never hacked mine then. Thanks for the help all! ;)

17. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

My Touch should arrive next week and I'm in two minds whether or not to Jailbreak it to be honest. I think for the first couple of months I won't bother (I know the latest version can't be done yet anyway but let's be honest, it's only a matter of time).

Maybe I'll get curious after a while and do it- anyone got links to the benefits of Jailbreaking (or aren't we allowed to post those?)

Cheers :)

18. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F138 Safari/525.20)

If you weren't allowed to then I'd be worried at the fact there's an entire board here dedicated to hacking the iPod touch :p

19. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Haha! I s'pose it is a bit of a daft question :D Just wanted to make sure.

20. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

OMG, so what's gonna happen to all you folks with a jailbroken touch once it's broken down ?! :eek:

Edit: I've read the whole thread and a few guys there said if you do a DFU restore (not the simple restore), you should be ok with the traces.