ipod touch backs up evertytime I try to sync it..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fishface17, Jul 13, 2008.

1. fishface17 macrumors member

After I installed 2.0 on the ipod touch, it always tries to backup when i sync it!!
    How the heck do I stop it from doing that??

2. rtphokie macrumors newbie

I've noticed this as well and find it a bit annoying. What is it doing when it backs up and why does it take so long? What are in these backups and where do they go?

3. amcan12 macrumors member

Page 108 of iPod Touch 2.0 User Guide:

iTunes creates backups of settings, downloaded applications, and other information on iPod Touch every time you sync it.

Accordingly to Apple all media are not being backed up as they are presumably still in your iTunes library and you can easy sync them back.

I only wonder why the same presumption was not considered when creating the backup application in the first place.

For example I have purchased through iTunes about 720 MB worth of apps, they were all downloaded to Mobile Applications folder on my Mac anyway and I don't need any backups of them. I can sync them back to Touch any time I want.

Why Backup is not checking/comparing content of Mobile Applications and backing up only those purchased directly through Touch?!!!

Why backup application is not making incremental backups instead of backing up every time all apps?!!!

Why backing up 720 MB worth of apps takes 3+ hours, while it took less than 20 minutes to put them on Touch in the first place?!!!

Blows my mind...

It's not a solution, just a workaround -

1. In iTunes Preferences/Syncing place check mark next to "Disable automating syncing of all iPods and iPhones" - this part prevents auto sync as well as auto backup every time Touch or iPhone is plugged in.

2. Do manual sync when needed. Once you click on sync the crazy backup of course will also start - but clicking on x in top window where it says "backing up" will stop the backup without affecting sync. Sync will complete.

But we still need a permanent solution to this annoyance.

4. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

i was wondering this as well.. it is quite annoying because it takes double the time to sync. it is very annoying please give us a fix apple!!

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I called Apple about this on Saturday and they said they are working on a solution.

6. pisces03x macrumors regular

At the start of all this (like last week), my laptop was at 60GB of free space.
    Now (Sunday), after countless backups, I'm at 40GB of free space. Somehow, I lost 20GB of space in those backups...

Which is odd, considering my music library is twice that size.

7. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Wow, man, that is really bad. I hope Apple fixes this because it is going to become a real problem!

8. amcan12 macrumors member

Media files are not being backed up - only settings, applications and other info (system related). Apple presumes that everyone has media on their computers anyway and can re-sync them at any time to iPhone or Touch.

9. pisces03x macrumors regular

Still, that's a lot of space to lose. Does anyone know how to delete the extra backups so I can at least have some room on my laptop?

10. cuanurse macrumors regular

I think it just keeps the most recent backup. Although this is new for us ipod users this is something that has always been for the iphone. Since we are able to use it more with ical and contacts, etc.. it is supposed to be a back up in case anything happens.

11. Mixalis macrumors newbie

Mixalis

Those backups do happen every time, but my subjective impression is that the time is getting shorter. From this I infer some sort of incremental system. However, I have not noticed any reduction in free space on my laptop, unlike some forum members. But I still don't know where all those backups are going to.

12. msa macrumors newbie

On Windows XP they go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

13. aeropix macrumors newbie

Having the same problem

Didn't know this thread was already started. My search results never work. Uff.

Here is My Thread