iPod touch backup and calendar sync issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by devburke, Oct 16, 2008.

1. devburke Guest

Hey, so I've tried getting help on the Apple support forums, but no one EVER responds over there, and I've always seen good results here, so I thought I'd give it a try:

I noticed recently that my MacBook (10.5.5 with all the latest software updates) only seems to be able to create events on my iPod's calendar, and can't delete, modify, or import items from my iPod. That means if I delete an event, it still exists on the iPod. If I modify an event, the modified version shows up as a brand new event on my iPod, giving me both versions. And if I create an event on my iPod, it's never synced back to iCal. Strangely enough, even if I tell it to replace the calendar on my iPod at the next sync, the "ghost events" (deleted or since-modified events) still show up, even though they don't exist in iCal. I'm not using MobileMe by the way, if that's relevant.

I've tried completely resetting my iPod and starting it over again, but that didn't help, leading me to think the problem may be on my Mac. Could it have something to do with the Sync Conflict Resolver or whatever it's called? The first couple times I synced after changing a calendar, instead of just syncing, it would ask me which version of the calendar was right, the iPod's or iCal's. I never get that dialogue any more.

I've also noticed that the past couple days every time I sync my iPod, iTunes takes FOREVER to back it up. This was definitely not happening before, backups would be very quick until just the other day. From what I'd heard, long backups used to be an issue, but with the newest software, these problems were eliminated (I only got my 2nd gen touch about a month ago, so I've only had the most current software). What's strange to me is that this just happened one day, despite the fact that I didn't change anything or get any software updates.

Any ideas? The calendar thing is more of an issue for me. I hate not being able to add events on my iPod (well I can add them, but they'll never get synced, so I don't) and constantly finding events on there that shouldn't be there any more.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this.

EDIT: Actually, upon closer inspection, it sometimes can modify events. I just changed the location of one, and there were no syncing issues. There doesn't seem to be any consistency for the problem. I guess also sometimes when I create a new event in iCal, my iPod ends up showing the event and another event at the same time, just plain "New Event"

2. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Have you tried messing around under the 'info' tab in your iPod section in iTunes? That was how I fixed my syncing issues.

3. devburke thread starter Guest

Yeah, I've tried replacing my calendars and disabling the "Do not sync events older than XX days" option, but they haven't helped. I guess I haven't tried only syncing one calendar, but that wouldn't be ideal cuz then I'd only have one calendar synced, even if the issues stop...

4. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

I see your dilemma. Quite a quoz quagmire... yeah... I got nothin' ;)