iPod Touch Backups

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by old-wiz, Nov 23, 2008.

1. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm new to the iPod Touch. I notice that when you sync with iTunes, it seems to do some kind of backup of the iPod. Is this correct? Does it backup settings and such or just the music? Where does it store the backup on the Mac? I've done some searching, but not having luck.

2. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i don't know a whole lot but mine restore's too when i sync it. it's just so if (when not plugged into the computer) the touch like, for lack of a better word at the moment, malfunctions you can just plug it into your computer click "Restore" and it will bring back your music and everything. as for settings, i'm not so sure.

hope this helped a little bit.

3. Touchy macrumors regular

I have the same question. What does it back up and where is it stored on the computer. I my case it is a PC. I have done a restore several days ago and all the "files" etc were put back on the iPod touch 2nd gen 16GB so I guess it is just for interest more than anything else that I would like to know this information. Any ideas?

4. Jimbo Dexy macrumors newbie

From Experience i think it updates your entire touch thats the music, Photos(if applicable), Settings and Applications. As mine backed all that up for me. As for where its stored Id look in the Acutal iTunes library folder as it should be there.

5. thornev macrumors member

So no one has any definitive answer for these questions? I looked in my iPod backup folder and all there is there is the music and photos. For me, in order to be a viable platform, I need to be able to backup and restore all my data including application data. Does backup and restore act on application data or just the applications? Thanks. thorne

6. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I doubt it actually backs up the music, video, photos, etc -- those things already came from your computer and presumably are on your computer, available to be synced again if necessary. If you consider how long it takes to put all your content (meaning the above items) onto your iPod Touch, the backup is too fast. I think the backup saves settings and data for the OS, and data files for the apps, stuff like that -- configuration data that otherwise only exists on the Touch.

My Touch was acting a little slow recently, so I thought I'd try a restore to see if it helped out (seemed to, a little). After the restore was done and I re-synced, my apps seemed to have all their data back, with a couple exceptions noticed so far: my apps were no longer organized like I had them -- they were all in alphabetical order, and the empty folders in Air Sharing were gone.

7. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

it does not back up all of your media files. if it did then it would take way longer than it actually does to back it up. iTunes itself is your backup of your media files. the backup that takes place when you plug in your iPod is backing up settings, application places (their spot on the home screen), safari bookmarks, notes, clocks, calendar events, etc. it does this so if you ever have to restore your iPod then you can put this backup on there and it will restore all of your setting, notes, clocks, and all that stuff so you don't have to do it all over again. as for the locations on your computers, i have no clue.

8. encephalon macrumors member

"Although iTunes backs up most of your iPhone and iPod touch settings, downloaded applications, your audio, video, and photo content are not included in the backup." -Apple

Some info here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

9. encephalon macrumors member

Also, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

"Backup information includes information such as mail settings, text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, sound settings, widget settings, certain network settings, and other preferences including settings and data from third-party applications purchased from the App Store."

10. thornev macrumors member

OK, thanks all. I knew that audio, video, apps and the like are already in iTunes. I was mostly worried about app data when I've spent hours entering it. I'm a Palm platform guy so I'm used to all sorts of utilities that do complete backups and restores with apps to view all data. It's a very hands-on platform. But I LOVE the Touch. Very sexy!

Happy New Year to all ! thorne

11. jakdominance macrumors member

jakdominance

Restored iPod, no Backups!

SO I restored my iPod the other day, because it wasn't being recognized in iTunes. I also reinstalled iTunes thinking that was the problem. Was that a totally idiotic move? Because I now don't have any backups shown in the Devices pane of the Preferences. Can I get all my stuff back? I seem to have lost game saves, books, downloaded photos, notes, settings, so it would be nice if there were a possibility of restoring that. :(