iPod Touch - battery acting "funny"!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AnoNym, Mar 31, 2008.

1. AnoNym macrumors newbie

Hello,

My 8 GB 1.1.4 Jailbreaked Touch is acting "funny". I charge the battery to 100%, turn it off during the night, and when I turn it on in the morning the battery has dropped to 75%.

Help!

English is not my native language.

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Hello AnoNym,

May I first say your English is great!

You may not know this, but, switching the iPod touch completely off actually uses more battery life than putting it into 'sleep' mode. Therefore, I would suggest, when you are not using the iPod, tap the top button (sleep/wake) which will put the device into sleep mode. To wake the iPod back up again, to continue general use, simply tap the top or bottom (home button) buttons. You should see a dramatic difference in battery life.

R-Fly

3. AnoNym thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the information. I will try it tonight.

4. BassistKing1 macrumors member

you left the screen on all night? lol no wonder. also, for some people, leaving wifi on (even if you arent using it, or even pick a network) will drain the battery power if its searching for wifi networks.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

He said that he turned it off, genius.

To the OP: As someone else said, booting up can take a lot of power, I would also suggest just putting it into sleep mode overnight instead of completely powering off the device. Try that and see if you get different results.

6. AnoNym thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally, I found the solution.

Click on INSTALLER.app
    Download an app called SERVICES
    Click on the SERVICES.app
    Disable SSH

Done!

I charged my battery to 100% last night, turned it off, and today when I woke up the battery showed... 100%. Hooray!

Tips: To transfer files via FTP you have to turn SSH on again.

7. dagored macrumors 65816

Well, according to the author of the OpenSSH app for the Touch, NO.

Will this kill my battery?

No. Unlike other ssh packages for the iPhone, this package does not have a constantly running daemon. It is simply added to the list of connections that the inetd daemon (which always runs on your iPhone) listens for. If it sees you trying to connect, it will start up sshd to handle it. When you disconnect, the sshd process goes away. This is exactly how it runs on Apple laptops. So, no, this package will not kill your battery if left turned on because, in truth, there is nothing actually running. My package is the only one that can claim this, to the best of my knowledge.

http://blog.psmxy.org/pkg-info/openssh/

8. AnoNym thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, according to me, the person with the weird battery problem... yes. ;)

My problem is solved so I would say that the developer is full of... something. :rolleyes: