iPod Touch Battery discharging overnight

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chas0001, Apr 19, 2008.

1. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I purchased an iPod Touch before Christmas and one day it just would not turn on. I sent it back to Apple and they replaced it. The problem I have with the replacement is that the battery discharges overnight.

With a full charge if I leave it overnight, in Sleep mode, by the morning the battery is fully discharged. WIFI is turned off and nothing is else is running i.e Music/Video. I think that I may have another DUD. Has anybody else experienced this problem? :(

2. purpletarzan macrumors newbie

I have this problem as well. All I do is make sure I put it on the charger overnight. If anyone has a solution to this I'd love to hear it.

3. nirvana06 macrumors regular

4. chas0001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chas0001

No, when its off its fine. I have even tried to restore it to see if that makes a difference but it does not. There must be a problem with it. My iPhone lasts for days in sleep mode.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Its not jailbroken, correct?

If its not, just send it back to Apple and get another. Thats definitely not normal.

6. Laura123 macrumors newbie

check the alarm

sorry if this sounds basic, but have you tried checking to see if the alarm is set to go off/turn on at midnight or some other odd time you wouldn't notice? If that fails, try ipodjuice.com or someone else that sells batteries - they might just know how to reset or fix your ipod touch.
    -laura

7. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

That is a bad iPod. Send it back

8. mrc6889 macrumors newbie

This is something I have noticed for mine.

I would leave the iPod Touch connected to my computer while it was powered off causing the battery to deplete rather quick even though it was in sleep mode. (Full charge at night, wake up in the morning it would be dead)

What I did was disconnect the cable when it is connected to something that is not providing a charge. When I did that it seemed to work, It would be fully charged at night and still be fully charged in the morning.

Give this a try if you leave it plugged in at night.

9. skwij macrumors 6502

Mine's not "overnight" per se, but a good 30 min walk will deplete the battery by 1/4 - 1/2, with Wifi OFF. That's with just music playing, nothing else running in the background.

Surely that can't be normal? Oh, and yeah, it's JailBroken with ZiPhone.

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

There's no way in hell that's normal. You should be able to get up to 22 hours of battery life from audio alone.

11. skwij macrumors 6502

Dang....

It's almost as bad when I sleep it by clicking the top button (well, not quite....overnight will deplete the battery by about 1/4). I'm so used to the Nano using NO power at all when asleep. I guess I'll have to actually start powering off the Touch.

I don't have access to an Apple Store; the nearest one is 2 hours away and I don't drive. Bloody Heck!

12. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I'd contact Apple themselves and organise to send it in for a service. My iPod Touch is currently being serviced (though for very bad hardware issues, nothing to do with the battery), but in the five months I had it I cannot recall the battery losing any charge whilst only being put to sleep. I'd seriously consider getting it fixed, it's not normal.

13. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

mine also has a poor battery life....just browsing around installer or 10 minuites reduces battery by about 1/4...half an hour of music reduces it by about 1/2...

14. sgtboy macrumors 6502

$100 says you left SSH on or something...

If you were to "unjailbreak" your ipod the battery will be fine, give it a try.

15. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

uh, huh. Doubtfully. And to unjailbreak, is called a restore

16. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Yea I'm aware of that. And it can't hurt to at least try, its not very useful in the state it is is now.

17. chas0001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Thanks for all the feedback :) I had jailbroken it but restored it and it still has the same problem.

I think that I will get it replaced. I have also noticed that sometimes when I connect it to a power source it does not start charging. I have to turn it off and then plug the power into it before it recognises it.

I cannot believe that this one has problems too :( I only had it replaced last week.

18. chas0001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chas0001

It was restored to factory and still had the same problem.

Do you want to use paypal or a direct deposit into my account? :D

19. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

The start up of the Touch from being fully off over and over again will deplete the battery much more then simply putting it to sleep.

20. skwij macrumors 6502

Granted, but sleeping it depletes the battery pretty fast, even with SSH and WiFi off.

I may go days without using it, so in that case, OFF is better than SLEEP, for me, for now. Oddly enough, I still prefer the Nano, but love the internet aspects of the Touch.

21. Angel32109 macrumors newbie

My Experience

My iPod touch started NOT holding a charge the same day I did the OS4 update. It has been downhill from there. I'll post everything I've tried in attempts to help someone else and also to get help narrowing down the issue. I'm a software tester myself, so I've tried a few things:

1. I did a restore as new device (not backup) in case there was a bug in one of the apps. I did the restore and immediately dragged my apps back onto my touch. That night, the same thing happened. (lost notes and calendar in the process :mad:)

2. I did a restore as a new device and left it alone over night. Didn't touch the iPod after restoring it. Held a charge fine over night...

3. Added one app (Tap Ranch) to the iPod. Died overnight...

4. Did another restore from new device and added a different app (TextFree). Died over night...

5. Did another restore from new device and added a non-WiFi app (Hoggy) per Apple Technical Support's request. Worked fine...

6. Did another restore from new device and turned on WiFi for the night... worked fine...

7. Apple finally decided it was a hardware issue. They gave me a new device yesterday. Same thing happened over night though.... SUPER mad since I lost ALLLLL my game data... :mad:

One time I was in the mountains, out of WiFi range and it worked fine for 3 days and I never turned WiFi off. I'm narrowing down that the issue has to somehow be related to WiFi, but it only started occurring after the OS 4 update. I was told the 4.1 update would fix it, but it didn't. The issue is obviously in the new software. Not sure if it is in the multitasking or what. A complete power off will not discharge the battery.

Turned location services off for tonight and will try it that way. If not, tomorrow I will try turning WiFi off over night and try that.

Sorry so long, but I wanted to put all the info in here.

Hope this helps and any further info is greatly appreciated.

22. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1011922

23. tetris macrumors newbie

May have found a fix to battery discharging

After many days of trying a few posted options to get my devices to stop discharging, I isolated the issue.

The problem began when I switched routers and updated from a g to an N router. The positive effect was immediate. Greater reception, faster download times... blah blah blah but, suddenly, all the Itouch(s) in the house where discharging overnight.

It coincided with an OS upgrade and additional apps download. Naturally, I turned to the Itouch itself.

Having tried everything from turning off notifications, hard reset, deleting apps, dumping the network, resetting 3 times, going to static address... etc, nothing worked.

I finally had an epiphany, turned off all the devices, reset the router (turn off or unplug for 1-3minutes) and voila, it's no longer a problem. It works.

The router as it turns out, was broacasting a weak signal every once in a while (happened twice in a month) that was competing with other signals in my network. Naturally, that forced the Itouch to "hunt" for a better signal in the vicinity (wireless roaming) to acquire. Problem is, it eventually finds the weak signal and requires it, having gone to a reboot of sort to generate the password and everything else from memory.

Initially, it can be difficult to detect because all the other wireless devices are still functional (laptop, Ipad) and are not being affected.

That excercise is repeated, almost like a loop several times. The Itouch loses the signal and reacquires it, quickly. If you go settings>wifi>choose a network> IP Address, you can see the address dropping off and being reacquired. Incidentally, this doesn't matter whether you are in DHCP or Static mode because the culprit is the wireless router/modem, not the Itouch.

If you've ran out of options and you find yourself in this dilema, don't forget to reset your wireless router as well as trying other options mentioned here and elsewhere.

Hope this was helpful.

24. b00ya macrumors member

I had that same problem with my iPod touch. I exchanged it for another. That had a different problem.. 3rd exchange has yet another problem.

I think they're all duds.

25. gumrustam macrumors member

The same problem. And the same result on two iPods: 2g and 3g.
    Started at the same time. Yesterday in the morning i saw my iPod 3g fully discharged, the same was with my second iPod 2g. Today I've got them discharged again.
    Both of them are not jailbroken.