iPod touch battery drain - based on charge location?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by theandreas, Dec 10, 2010.

1. theandreas macrumors newbie

I bought my dad a 4th gen iPod touch for his birthday last week. He experienced rapid battery drain soon after the initial 4+ hour charge. He would have a full charge in the morning before he left for work and when he returned home, the iPod battery level would already be in the red. I checked his settings to ensure the wi-fi was off and no other apps were running. We left it charging overnight using the usb power adapter. The next morning, he unplugged the fully charged iPod. When he returned from work, he found the iPod once again with a low battery. I took it home with me so that I could return it. I charged it at my house using the very same usb power adapter. I unplugged it the next morning (fully charged) but forgot to take it along with me. When I got home later that evening, it was still fully charged. I checked it the next day, and the indicator showed a full battery.

Can anyone explain how this iPod can't hold a charge for eight hours when charged at my dad's house but can hold a charge for days when charged at my house?

2. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

In my experience: charging an ipod/iphone via the ac adapter vs computer's usb gives me a longer battery life.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

We can't explain. There will be a marginal difference between USB port and wall outlet though.