Ipod Touch Battery Life (Using Wifi Continuously)?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blairh, Nov 19, 2008.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking about getting an Ipod Touch 2nd generation to use at work. I don't have a computer at work, but I do have free wifi. So I'd be using my Ipod touch exclusively to browse the net using our wifi connection.

Does anyone have a good idea as to how long the 2nd generation Ipod touch can last on a full charge while browsing the net using wifi? I would disable whatever I need in "settings" in order to max out as much battery life as possible to browse the web.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

typically they say 3-4 hours using wi-fi. wi-fi takes a lot of power. search forums here and you can find more info.

3. acedew macrumors member

I'd say 3-4 hours is probably pretty accurate for me. But it's hard to say, I've never really run it into the ground with exclusive use like that, I usually watch a couple videos, play some games, and listen to music as well.

4. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

My first gen Touch usually goes all day and then some with WiFi on, but it's only fetching data for email every 15 minutes or so. When browsing, I'll usually see some drop, but not a whole lot. I could probably get 6 hours using it frequently for web during the day.

5. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

1st Generation Instead?

Thanks for your replies.

Do you recommend I get the first generation Ipod Touch instead? It appears that will give me more battery life for wifi browsing.

6. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

If you have a desk job, you might want to also consider buying one of those plug-in chargers to charge the Touch up at any electrical outlet. Even without a desk job it would come in handy. That way you could easily charge it, plus if at a desk for a long time, keep it plugged in when the wireless is on and you won't drain the battery at all.

Mike

7. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I don't have a desk job. I'm standing for work (maitre'd at restaurant). I'd be keeping the ipod touch in my blazer coat when not using it, and then whipping it out when I have down time.

8. acedew macrumors member

I don't know. There seems to be a lot of guestimating here on the forums about battery life, including the one I just gave you above. As I said, I've never tested it, it's just roughly what I think I'm getting. I've only seen a handful of people that have taken the time to sit down and do some thorough testing, and I don't know that I've seen any comparisons between the 1G and 2G. Further compounding the problem is that the battery life indicators are not always completely accurate and don't necessarily help you in predicting theoretical usage, and that many people come to the forums because they're having battery problems. If it were me, I would prefer the newer product. I can't imagine that the battery life would vary that much between the two, especially because Apple advertises longer battery life for the 2G. Usage, settings and OS version probably have more impact on battery life than whether you have a 1G or 2G, IMO.

9. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

The 2g gets better battery life than the 1g.

I don't think that would be a problem since you won't be using it non stop. I'd bet that you could easily go through the entire day using it on and off like that.

10. acedew macrumors member

What quick5pnt0 said. And if you're going to whip it out, you might want to buy a case as well ;) Seriously. Once you get one, you'll be whipping it out a lot, and enthusiastically.

11. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I'm going to go with the 2nd generation touch. Thanks again!

12. Big Willie macrumors member

Indeed. I whip mine out whenever I get the chance.

:p ;)

13. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Be sure to download that Stun Gun app from the Apps Store to teach any rude customers a lesson. ;-)

Mike