iPod touch iPod Touch Battery Life...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Domofloge, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

Alright everybodyy,
    I got an iPod Touch recently and after using it for about two weeks, i am completely disgusted with the battery life. I might have to bring it to the nearest Apple Store and see if i received a defective one.. But honestly i only get about 4 hours of battery life on a full charge with the brightness down near about 25%.

i just wanted to see if other people were having the same issue as me...

:apple:Thanks guys..:apple:

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

What are you doing with it. Some things could easily make the battery life around 4 hours as you said.

3. BassistKing1 macrumors member

if u leave wifi on it will drain the battery.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yup, wifi just KILLS the battery. I'm lucky to get four hours out of mine if I'm using Safari. I've never actually timed it, but I'd guess it's probably closer to three hours.

Solution: don't use wifi if you're not going to have access to a charger for a while.

5. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Apple advertises the machine as getting 4-5 hours of video in per battery charge, if that helps.

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yes, the battery sucks, even more so when using WiFi, and WiFi seriously uses the battery when the "Ask to Join New Networks" thing is on, turn that off and it will be better, but it will still suck, yes...

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I have my wifi on all the time, ask to join network on, and I don't see that type of battery drain. I do see it drain when I'm watching you tube stuff though.
    As far as safari, I browse the net while I'm watching a sporting event on TV, then I put the touch to sleep when I'm done. I don't know if this helps but I get about a whole day or more of battery life using my iTouch that way.
    Watching a movie doesn't seem to drain my battery as much as I would have thought either. I watched two 2-hour movies and still had more then 3/4 of battery life left.
    Again I put the thing to sleep when not using it. Turn it completely off at night.

8. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Turning it off properly at night or if your not using it for a few hours definatly helps, too.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Turning WiFi off or the iPod touch off? Turning off the iPod touch can drain a lot of battery during boot when you turn it back on. I noticed that it uses almost NO battery if it's just sleeping in stand-by mode.

Keep the iPod touch in sleep mode as often as you can and always turn off Wifi when you're not using it... and you'll go a LONG way with your battery... trust me... this is what I do and I can have my iPod on all night and even off the charger and I wake up and the battery indicator hasn't moved. Sleep is definitely better by FAR. Avoid booting your iPod if possible.

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Both, but if you are not going to use the iPod for a few hours, or are going to sleep, turn the iPod off properly, and turn off WiFi off when you are not using it.

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Bad. That's bad for the iPod. I NEVER turn mine off. Sleep works wonderfully. Only turn it completely off if you're not going to use it for a few days.

12. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I very rarely turn it off. Sleep mode works well.

13. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

14. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

If I listen to it before I go to sleep and it has ~40% battery and leave it in sleep all night it wakes up with red battery.
    I turn mine properly off

15. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

With WiFi off, and screen set to 20-25% brightness I get about 2 working days (8-9 hrs per day of usage) out of my iPod Touch. And that often even includes leaving the screen on for hours on end. If I set the screen to switch off after inactivity the battery life increases further.
    I also put mine to sleep and this does virtually nothing to impact the battery life. (But to say it's bad for the iPod to turn it off is a load of rubbish).

Needless to say I'm extremely impressed with it's performance.
    4 hours means you either left the WiFi on or you just haven't got the touch (pardon the pun). ;)

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Turn off wifi... sleeping it does not do much to the battery... but, sleeping it with wifi on does do a lot to the battery. I can't believe your claims.

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You shouldn't even need to leave the screen on for hours at a time... I set my screen to sleep automatically after 1 minute.

18. Domofloge thread starter macrumors regular

Domofloge

Well, I can honestly tell you that im not making this up. Also, what would be the point embellishing my claims anyway?? I was simply inquiring if other people were having the same issue as me. And now after posting the thread, i see that if i turn off my WiFi, it will increase the battery life.. So yeah..

19. aki macrumors 6502a

yeah i cant really figure this one out, i have read many threads on batts and people just dont seem to have the same stuff. in my case i can say for sure that leaving wifi on doesnt make any difference in batt life that i can subjectively see.

20. kaselectronics macrumors newbie

I sent my original in for the same problem

I sent mine back to Apple after a week of owning it. It drained the battery too quick without doing anything. After receiving the replacement unit, it now works great. I was able to jail break the replacement and download ipod touch music for it and everything. I now am a fan.:)

21. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Wi-FI kills it but I have like 30 new apps for my touch after I jailbroke it and I think it drained it a little bit but not much.

22. kingen3 macrumors newbie

HI, i buy my ipod yesterday and if im using safari my ipod die after 20mins. shall it be like that. plzzz reply!? :confused:

23. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

No, I don't think that's right. You should be able to get at least an hour out of it.

24. alex.180 macrumors newbie

alex.180

If you can only get 20 mins will full charge something's wrong with the battery. When i bought mine I tested it and I was able to use safari for at least 4 hours.

25. kingen3 macrumors newbie