iPod Touch Battery

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tragedies, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

I just bought a new iPod Touch off eBay, and it came, and I assume was bought, from Singapore. Its all official and new and such, however Im curios to battery life.

General question first, does web browsing via WiFi take more battery then playing music? Or even playing video?

Can someone redirect me to where I can find what Apple says about video and music playback. How many hours on average is expected?

...and do Applications take alot of battery power? Assuming it is something like Tap Tap Revenge/.

2. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Absolutely. WiFi and Apps drain battery power far quicker than music playback alone, and when you combine the two, even more so. I'll search for a link. Congrats on your iPod!

3. whiteness macrumors member

4. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, ok. 'Cause one of the first things I did when I got it was use WiFi..and found the battery going fast. But if it seems expected, then fair enough. It is Internet on a small device anyway, heh.

Would you guys say WiFi drains battery faster then videos? Personally WiFi uses alot of battery, as mentioned, however Ive yet to mess around with video playback.

Thanks for the quick replies, too.

-mikey

5. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

WiFi certainly drains faster. From what I've seen, WiFi gets somewhere between 3-4 hrs of life, video 5-6.

Btw, a GREAT way to save battery life is turn the screen brightness down to around 1/4 bright. It's still plenty bright, and you'll hardly notice the difference a few minutes in!

6. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, ok. That's good to know =)

And I think I will turn the brightness down. Most of the time it seems to bright, anyway XD

7. Michaud68 macrumors member

Thanks for the brightness tip.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Wifi always slaughtered my iTouch (yes, I know - but that's what I call it) although as has been pointed out, lowering the brightness helps a great deal.