iPod touch blanking out!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by juders, Oct 3, 2007.

1. juders macrumors newbie

This is my first ipod and my first post in the forum = noob. I've been lurking around this forum ever since I ordered my ipod at end of Sept. I was super excited when I finally got it this Monday Oct 1st. I was lucky and got a week 38 and when I first got it I did all the tests on it and got pretty good results. Nice contrast and resolutions. Then the horror: it blanked out! The first time was when I first synched it.

This is what happens: the screen turns all white with thin colored lines kinda just moving here and there. I tried pressing the sleep button to turn it off then on again and the white screen with colored lines is still there! I turned it off for a few minutes and it was back to normal. It was just the first time I used it! I did the 1.1.1 update and the screen was still fine (contrast/colors-wise) and I thought the screen problem will be gone... until today (day 3).

I was on the train listening to music when it blanked out again. I pressed the sleeping button but it didn't turn off! After about a minute it turned off by itself then turned on by itself again but it was still the white screen with colored lines! Is there a way to fix this? I took my camera phone and recorded it on my phone what happened on the screen of the ipod. If I go to an apple store do you think they'll exchange it for me? I can't make the blank screen appear, it just appears randomly!

edit: it doesn't have the apple logo, just all white with colored lines. The music continues playing even after it goes blank and none of the buttons work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-pzIwkwpw0

heres the video i recorded on the train this morning when it happened

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Happened to me once too,1.1.1firmware, I think its os' bug, let me know if anybody has more solid info regarding this

3. james6000 macrumors member

james6000

Something similar to this happened to me but not while I was listening to music. Was after update and was while I was watching a video; everytime I got to a specific point/time on the video the screen just went white/grey with the apple logo and I couldn't press any buttons. Same happened with a few other videos I tried it with.

Would like to know if this is a one off that can be easily fixed

4. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Interesting. Did you try using the iPod Restore utility?