iPod Touch Bricked when installing 2.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Maxamillious, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Maxamillious Suspended

Just finished a 2hr download of the 2.0 firmware for the iPod Touch (the early release) and while updating iTunes gave me a '1602' error and my iPod Touch is now a brick and not appearing in iTunes, lol. I have a backup from earlier this afternoon I can restore to but I'm not seeing that option anywhere in iTunes (probably because my iPod Touch isn't showing up in iTunes?).

Has anyone else had similar problems or knows how to un-brick the iPod Touch?

I actually didn't have this problem when I attempted to install the early release of the iPhone 2.0 firmware on my iPod Touch yesterday - it restored automatically. After all the commotion though in the past 48hr's I'm getting kinda' tired of waiting on Apple, so I'll cross-grade to the official iPod Touch 2.0 firmware release in a few days when Apples servers are a little more stable. :)

2. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

DFU Mode

Sometimes you are unable to even your iPhone or iPod Touch doesn’t even boot. In this case it is recommend that you put the device in ‘DFU Mode’. DFU stands for ‘Device Firmware Update’, and what it does is allow you to boot into ’safe mode’. . .basically.

Follow these steps to put your iPhone or iPod Touch into DFU Mode. . .

* Turn off your device
    * Push AND hold the Home AND Power buttons
    * When you see the Apple logo. . .Let go of the Power button
    * Connect your device to the computer and open iTunes

iTunes should tell you that the iPhone or iPod Touch is in ‘restore mode’.

Taken from: http://www.installerapps.com/faq/broken-iphone-or-ipod-touch/

3. Maxamillious thread starter Suspended

Thats good information - thank you. However, I've tried it ten or twenty times now and iTunes still isn't showing my iPod Touch. :confused:

4. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

Guess your iPod touch is bricked. I don't believe there is another way then the one that myuserid08 gave you.

5. Maxamillious thread starter Suspended

Alright, well I'm unsure what the problem was but I plugged my iPod Touch into a different computer and iTunes automatically un-bricked it back to 1.1.4 and then restored it when I plugged it back into my computer thereafter.

So if anyone runs into similar problems there's one solution for you, lol. Thanks for the help everyone. :)

6. Packersfan27 macrumors 6502

I had the same problem, i put it in DFU mode and that fixed it.

I just am scared of trying to download it again :(

7. Maxamillious thread starter Suspended

^ I don't believe it'll work. I tried reinstalling the early release 2.0 firmware another two times and alas, no avail. Just more un-bricking. ;)

8. Pickoff macrumors member

People, you do know that "early release" was for iPhone and iPhone only, right?

9. cuanurse macrumors regular

You say that... but why is there a link up at the apple store. Granted it doesn't work but it is up (which I think is related to other issues). If it wasn't intended for ipod touch - it wouldn't be up. It would have said "available soon."

10. Pickoff macrumors member

11. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

There was a "release" link direct from apple which was pulled from the forum. I've downloaded it and works fine. Now running 2.0, will be buying the official release when apple decides to get things sorted, whenever that will be!

12. Maxamillious thread starter Suspended

There was indeed also one for the iPod Touch. They are both in-fact sitting on my desktop. Both the file names and files sizes differ between them.