iPod Touch broken by repair shop. Advice needed!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TomAndrews, Jan 5, 2012.

1. TomAndrews macrumors member

Hello all!

I've been lurking around on this forum for awhile now, only just decided to post and therefore register.

Just looking for some advice really. I apologise in advance if this is too much to read, i've tried to separate it out so its not too hard to follow.

To cut a long story short, my sister drops her iPod touch 4th Generation (32GB) and breaks glass screen. I take it into a repair shop and they offer to repair for around £60. She is happy paying this, especially as Apple wouldn't repair - only replace whole iPod. The man working in the repair shop repairs the screen and everyone is happy, or thats how i would like it to be.

It turns out the man dropped the iPod after repairing it; this broke the screen even more. He offered a free replacement screen as it was all his fault. I returned today to pick the iPod back up. Turns out when he dropped it, the motherboard broke as well, rendering the iPod unusable. He said he couldn't fix it, but Apple would fix it for me, for around £40. He gave me an 8GB 4th Gen iPod touch as well, as a replacement (even though my sisters was a 32GB).

I, of course, am not happy with this at all. And i have a few questions that you lovely people may be able to help me with.

Firstly, will apple be able to replace the motherboard? If so, a rough estimate on cost? (His quote of £40 seemed too cheap?)
    Secondly, is the motherboard replaceable at all? Would another repair shop be able to do it for me?
    And finally, more of a legal question, what rights do i have if he refuses to replace the iPod?

Some details that someone may find useful:
    The iPod is still under Apple guarantee
    The first time i entered his shop was about 2 weeks before christmas (around the 10th December)
    The shop is located in the centre of London, so it didn't strike me as too dodgy (you can never be too sure though).
    I paid cash rather than card.

I would be very appreciative if someone could offer some advice, perhaps if you've been in a similar situation. Thanks!

Tom

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

All I can tell you is that Apple will not replace the motherboard, just like they will not replace the screen. They will replace the entire unit for a fixed rate. You can Google "Apple OOW Replacement Prices" for the exact amount.

Here is the link: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/prices/#uk

For a 32GB 4th Generation iPod Touch will cost you £126.44.