iPod Touch broken home button - restoring iTunes to new one?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Maxinuk, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Maxinuk macrumors member

Hi chaps, after 14 months of daily fantastic service my 4th Gen Touch has lost it's home button - completely solid and broken. Really pleased that Amazon without argument is sending a brand new replacment today (same model).

Can anone run me through how I set up the new one exactly the same as the old - ie synching to iTunes so it copies all the same content over.

Many thanks.

2. Rad-o macrumors member

Switch on the iPod , and there will be an option to set up as new one or restore from iTunes .. Pick the restore from iTunes .
    Connect the iPod to the computer that you last synced the old iPod .
    And it will start to sync .. Wait for it to finish and you have your original settings , apps etc .. :D

3. Maxinuk thread starter macrumors member

Simple, thanks! Now just wondering if it will come with IOS 5 or 6 from Amazon UK...?

Have to admit I stuck with IOS 4 for various Luddite reasons but it was becoming annoying as a number of apps were no longer 'updatable' or for new ones downloadable completely.

4. Rad-o macrumors member

It will come with iOS 5 if its a new one . But when you sync and restore the iPod , if you have updated to ios6 on the previous iPod and synced , you will have iOS 6 when you finish the restore :)

5. Maxinuk thread starter macrumors member

No, current (broken) iPod is still IOS 4 - is there likely to be any issues then restoring the new IOS5 ipod from an IOS4 sync??

I definitely don't want IOS6...

6. Rad-o macrumors member

I don't think there will be any . Just try and see if there are any problems , reset the iPod and start from scratch , u can use ur current apple Id so that u don't have to buy the apps . Are there any important files in the iPod ?

7. Maxinuk thread starter macrumors member

No, its all in iTunes.

One last issue -I cannot seem to find a user guide for IOS 5 on the iPod Touch, Apple's site only has IOS4 and jumps to IOS 6 - any idea where I can find this?

8. Rad-o macrumors member

I have no idea :/ try searching on google .

9. MrPomme macrumors member

The user guide is still available on the iBooks Store (at least in France) if you have access to it. :)

10. Maxinuk thread starter macrumors member

Do you have a link please? Is it in French?

11. MrPomme macrumors member

12. Maxinuk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for those, sadly no good. The first one I found yesterday but if you click it it is IOS 6 (5 must have been taken out), the second it will not allow a download to those registered in the UK - thanks Apple...

13. MrPomme macrumors member