Ipod touch.. Buy or Sell ??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by toonz diggler, Dec 11, 2007.

1. toonz diggler macrumors member

Please help me out. I want to purchase the 8gb for my GF and the 16 for me. If you have time can you please give me the pros and cons .

Thanks

2. Richard.John macrumors regular

Pros:

Wi-Fi and the iTunes Music Store for purchases on the go
    Superb integration as ever with iTunes so it's easy as can be to use.
    Outstanding and intuitive GUI
    Superb for watching video content on the go due to the big screen
    It's an iPod so will have many accessories
    Solid build quality
    Excellent Sound quality
    Huge potential as a platform in terms of future apps etc
    Cover flow really works due to the touch screen and is very useful for finding albums quickly

Cons:
    Some say it's a cut down iPhone but that may not matter anyway if the iPhone is unavailable to you.
    Lacks storage compared to the iPod Classic
    Battery life is not class leading
    Can't change battery yourself
    Not the best audio player on the market if that is your main purpose as you cant change tracks 'blind' as such. Requires at least three taps to skip.

On balance, it's a winner for me. A truly superb device that won't let you down. Just make sure you recognise its limitations before you take the plunge. As in if you have a 50 GB music collection then you won't be able to carry that around with you but if, like me, your collection is more modest, then it's perfect.Think of it as iPod on the go. Perfect for trips or commuting just not for hoarding your entire media library.

3. toonz diggler thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for taking your time out, to explain this

4. Richard.John macrumors regular

You are welcome. If you go for the touch, I hope the two of you enjoy the ride...

5. tefleming macrumors 6502

I ordered the 16GB touch the day it was announced and have been enamored with it since.

The reasons I love it:

It's positively tiny. Incredibly thin and light.
    Video playback is very good. It's nice when traveling or even just killing 20-30 minutes in a waiting room.
    Mobile internet is a big plus (again, great when needing to kill time). I've managed to stop carrying a laptop (computer at work, computer at home, ipod touch everywhere else).

The plusses increase if you're willing to jailbreak - makes it far more versatile.

The negatives:
    They're expensive (comparatively to other ipods.)
    Meager storage - if you listen to a wide variety of music, 16gb can be on the light side.
    Battery life is only so-so. If I use it heavily, I have to recharge it nightly.

If you (both) take the plunge, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting Invisble Shield for them both. The back of the ipod touch is very scratch-prone. (I only used the back piece).

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I can't see your location but I'd recommend trying one out in a store before buying. Even if your not near an Apple store (I'm in Hong Kong) you'll probably still be able to get a demo in a mac store.

I found it easy to use when I first tried it (a few days ago) and found it's weight odd compared to it's depth (in that it's really thin, but surprisingly heavier than you'd expect, which is a good thing I guess).

I can't open my box till Christmas, but I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it very much.

7. toonz diggler thread starter macrumors member

I went to the store and played around with it, and enjoyed what I've seen. Another question I have is how good is the internet on it? I tried it in the store and it works fine, but my question is when I'm on the trains(above ground) or the Staten Island ferry(for those who know)

Thanks

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Unless the trains and the ferry boats have Wi-Fi, which isn't very common at all, you won't be able to get any internet access using the iPod touch there.

9. Richard.John macrumors regular

It's not a phone so relies on hotspots. You should consider if that fits in with your lifestyle/ place of work etc. It does for me so it's no problem as I can access the web at McDonalds for example. I don't like McDonalds though but that's life...:D

10. toonz diggler thread starter macrumors member

lol, i understand.