IPOD Touch Calendar Alerts

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Chiny, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Chiny macrumors 6502

I upgraded my IPOD from a classic to a touch. One of my favorite features on there is the calendar. I can keep track of my kids soccer games, appointment, meetings etc... I am a true "mom on the go". How do I get it to make a sound when I set the alert? I did a test and if I press the button and look at it the alert shows on the homescreen but if I don't remember to do that how else will I remember? I'm really frustrated there's no sound. Any help would be appreciated.

2. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

The iPod Touch doesn't have a speaker so you'd have to be wearing earphones to hear any alerts if there were any...

Joshua.

3. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

I use my iPod fr the same thing.
    Basically you can set alerts and as long as you have speaker noises turned on it should make a loud enough noise for you to hear it. Works for me anyway. The calender is probably the most used app on this thing apart from music for me.

4. Chiny thread starter macrumors 6502

I did a test and it was in my pocket and I didn't hear it. I'm sitting in my office and it's not very noisey here. I can't imagine trying to hear it (if there's even a sound) when I am driving or at home :(

5. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Really? My one makes a hell of a racket when the reminders go off. I can hear it from the case in my pocket. Have you got the system sounds turned on in settings?

6. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

Again, there is no speaker in the iPod that you could hear from. It doesn't matter if it's in your pocket or out of it. The only way that you could hear anything is if you had earphones plugged into it and the iPod volume cranked up so you could hear something from them. This is what Draythor probably means. The iPhone on the other hand does have a speaker.

Joshua.

7. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

How is this possible without a speaker?

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

There must be a tiny speaker or something because I can hear mine; It's pretty quiet, though.

9. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

Apparently so. Please ignore everything I've said in this thread :) I learn something new every day.

Joshua.

10. Chiny thread starter macrumors 6502

I will try and do another test then :confused:

11. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Go to Settings > General > Sound Effects. There are choices for Speaker, Headphones and Both

12. Chiny thread starter macrumors 6502

13. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

well if you can't here it with the spearker turned on then there's very little you can do about it unless you want to carry speakers in your pocket. Sorry I can't be of more help this time.

14. Chiny thread starter macrumors 6502

I finally heard it!! I was in my car w/out the engine or radio running, I was quietly reading a book and I did a test. I heard it but like others say it was very low :eek:

15. herve5 macrumors newbie

touch beep bug and way to solve

on my version 1.2 Touch there is a (known) bug which prevents the beeps as soon as you have performed a sync with iTunes; the way to deal with it is to switch off the Touch (long press on the "on" top button) then restart it. In such a case it will beep OK ...until the next sync...

I wonder whether the 1.3 update solves this; for me it would be the most valuable improvement in 1.3 ;-)

16. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

The speaker that you refer to is a twitter that is like in most computers that make that same beep noise when you hold a button for too long on a Windows machine for example. It is so small and probably doesn't have the ability for much more volume adjustment.

So if you want a loud ass alarm, you better get an iPhone.

17. Zali macrumors newbie

I think the beep is loud enough, but what bugs me is that it only goes once. If I could get the thing to repeat every 2 seconds, I would be able to hear it I'm sure. I have the SDK...I wonder if I can fix it...

18. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

THAT would be a great innovation. Definitely take a shot and let us know how you fare.

19. ranwanimator macrumors newbie

yeah... it's not a speaker in the traditional sense of the word so much as it is a high tech buzzer. It's basically a small metal disc that vibrates when current gets passed through it. By varying the speed of the vibrations they can make some simple tones/music. Unfortunately its volume cannot be controlled and it's not big enough to make any kind of real racket when you need it to.

Peace

20. mattmessner macrumors newbie

Now ipod touch beeps

hey, the 2.0 update beeps when you send or recieve a IM in AIM, and also a Email alert.

There must be a tiny speaker inside, kinda neat.

New events on calendars beep as well as the alarm clock

21. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Works pretty slick. Mine is going off all the time between calendar alerts and email.