iPod Touch Camera "Could Happen Without Warning"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DocDoom, Sep 10, 2009.

1. DocDoom macrumors regular

http://gizmodo.com/5356769/ipod-touch-camera-could-happen-without-warning

According to vague ipodnn sources, Apple's camera-less iPod touch could have been a last minute decision. They also suggest that Apple is still committed to delivering a camera on the touch "as soon as possible."

Apparently, this adjustment could come before next year's hardware refresh—"without warning" as one source put it. The source also claimed that the upgrade would happen only with the 32 and 64GB versions of the touch and would not affect current pricing. Should this information affect your buying decision? No, it's just a rumor after all. But chances are Apple will end up caving on this sooner or later. Jobs claims that the decision was about keeping costs down, but all of the chatter seems to indicate that having a camera on the touch might be a dealbreaker.

2. dwu182, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  3. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

Exactly.

Remember those production delays? Turns out to be true. That's why Apple said "F**k it, put the 3GS guts in there" and called it a day.

I strongly believe this isn't what Apple wanted to release, and the upgraded processor are just last minute decisions. Just too little for Apple to call it the next gen touch.

4. California King macrumors 65816

That's pretty much what I think. For some reason the cameras weren't ready, so they went to plan B and started production of camera-less iPods. To be fair, they're doing a great job marketing it as a portable gaming device with the ads and all.

Also, I doubt it's going to be anytime soon. I would give it at least 3-4 months.

5. picollus macrumors member

this is phoney

At the media event of 9/9/9 it was clearly specified by phill & jobs that the presented ipods was the lineup for 'this year' holidays ...

6. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Mmm, that is what I am thinking too. But what really puzzles me is why they just skipped out on it. Why wouldn't they just delay it a week or two? Or however long it would take to fix the camera (Or whatever caused a production delay)? :confused:

7. DocDoom thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah thats true. So im guessing the official 3rd gen iPod Touch will be out any time after january. Even at the press conference, in no way did they advertise the ipod touch as "New", or "3rd Generation". Seems they were strict on pushing this as just an Upgrade, and thats it. I think apple really was really put in a jam because of the pre production issues and had to make some minor, Minor changes to give the people something.

8. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I'm on the fence on whether or not to wait. As I've been saying though, we have to wait for tear down. If Apple designed this with the camera in mind there should be telltale signs of it.

If there are telltale signs of it then I'm going to wait even though I'll miss my apps.

9. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

They have made changes to the iPod line outside of September, so I wouldn't be surprised. I really don't care either way though. I have a 2G 16GB Touch that isn't going anywhere.

10. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

my same thought.

11. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

There will be some pissed off people who buy a 32 or 64 "updated" models now only to see them upgraded again with cameras for the same price in a few months. I might be one of them.

12. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

I might be one of them as well. But I don't know. A few months, maybe. Half - a full year, more plausible.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If Apple does put cameras into the iPod touch, my guess it won't happen any earlier than 6 months from now.

14. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I agree. There would be too many complaints if they changed it too quickly.

It would be nice if one of those tear-down places opened up a new touch. If there was an empty space for a camera module then we'd know the "production problem" rumors are true.

Greg

15. picollus macrumors member

Yea ! image all people who receive a touch for holidays...

If there a change... it's at least feb/march 2010 ... not before...

But one this we are sure.. it'a that a 128 gb ipod touch for early 2010 is improbable... so... if a new ipod is annonced it will prove tha failure of 2009 !

16. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

128g ipod touch:eek:sounds creepy to me

keep waiting as we always do:rolleyes:

17. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14713/the_mystery_of_the_ipod_touch_camera

18. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

LOL.

Yes, Apple will definitely screw over someone who paid $399 for the current 64GB by releasing a new iPod Touch in November because it's PLAUSIBLE. (Sarcasm). Certain bloggers can say anything and people believe them (just like how they were CERTAIN a iPod touch with a camera would debut at 9/9/09).

Wishing something will happen, like the iPod Touches get a camera, won't make it. Of course, the Touch line we get cameras but Nanos needed it to boost sales.

Odds are that the only change to the iPod touch line that will happen between now and Sept. 2010 is the entry level model will be bumped up to 16GB in January/February.

19. alm99 macrumors 6502

I am going to say that the Touch will not get a camera at all.

I also bet that when they announce a tablet in February they will also announce a Verizon Wireless iPhone due out in June/July of 2010 and that will have the camera. This way both predominant carriers in the U.S. offer iPhones with cameras. Those who have an iPod touch and have wanted a camera can now have it from either carrier via the iPhone. Basically forcing people into an iPhone if they want that converged device.

20. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

The iPod touch was suppose to have a camera, because in the assasin creed you can take a pic of yourself and have your face on the wanted poster in the game. How can u do that on an iPod touch , you can do it On a iPhone but This was an iPod event.

21. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Couldn't agree less.

There's a giant thread about how ignorant people think the Touch will never get a camera..."it's too similar to the iPhone". No one in the their right mind would say, well I need a new cellphone..but screw iPhones, I'll get a $50 Nokia along with an iPod Touch since its got a camera"...

The point of an iPhone is that it's a cellphone - all in one device. Why would I want to carry along two devices, when I can just carry one?

Especially since the Nano has a camera, you really expect Apple to ignore the Touch with a camera? What else are they going to due to update the iPod Touch each year?

22. alm99 macrumors 6502

Ok, the touch will get a camera, but not soon. Trust me, I want a camera in the iPod touch and I assume the cases were right with the holes cut out in recent "leaks." I am just not sure it is going to happen before christmas. Too many people who purchased the newly released touch would be irate.

23. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

They will be... but if they release it anytime before next Sept, they will have people that just bought old ones who get upset.