iPod Touch camera in the future

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jupi, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Jupi macrumors newbie

It looks like there's evidence that the next generation of iPod Touch will have a camera built in.
    If you look at the iPod Touch 2G screen in a very bright sunlight, you'll see a circular area just above usable portion of the screen that suggests the camera is coming some time in the future. It is similar looking to the new MacBook camera, but it's very hard to see, you may have to tilt the screen a bit to see it.
    It may be old news, but I couldn't find a discussion on this topic other than disappointment about the lack of the camera.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

4. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

YAY! found another EPIC FAIL :D :D :D :D :D :D

But yeah dude it's just the light censor, and why would apple only put a front facing camera ?

5. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

6. Jupi thread starter macrumors newbie

Light sensor?

Now that I think about it, the area just above the screen could be a light sensor, but it looks so much alike to MacBook camera and the possibility is so exciting (Skype).

Edited:
    You guys are too quick. And still people say that the speed of thought is the fastest...

7. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

Ummm.... it is only a light sensor there is no camera inside. There have been people that take ipod touches apart and they would know if it was a camera. I do not think there will ever be one. It competes too much with the iPhone

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The concept that a feature (camera for example?) in a Touch can't exist if it duplicates or competes too closely with a feature in an iPhone is flawed. Anyone who utters such idiocy should be shot. If that were true your Touch would not have downloadable apps, not have a music player, not have a video player, not have youtube, not have wifi, not have a photo app, not have a speaker, not have a mic option, not have a touchscreen, and not be thin. The ONLY thing a Touch can't (potentially) have is a cell phone radio and related service contract.

Apple has to "enhance" the iPod line every year to keep it's business flying. The 2nd gen Touch added speaker, mic_via_headphone jack, external volume buttons, and got thinner. There were hundreds of nay-sayers claiming speaker/mic would NEVER HAPPEN as it would make the Touch too close to an iPhone. I promise you the next Touch will come at least one step closer by duplicating another feature currently in the iPhone. It might get GPS. It might get Bluetooth. It might get a camera. The thin form factor suggests the optics for a camera would be very challenging and as such I doubt will see one, but that has nothing to do with an iPhone already having a camera.