iPod Touch Camera

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jman800, Jan 17, 2009.

1. jman800 macrumors regular

Why haven't apple already put one in? Will they do it for a new model?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. Packersfan27 macrumors 6502

The DS has a camera and the PSP has camera attachments. the iPod is a music player, but it does much more than that and I would not be surprised if there is a camera in the next model.

4. AngryApple macrumors 6502

If it had a camera everyone would just buy an iPod touch and settle for a crap phone rather than buy an iPhone. It's one of the features that seperate and iPhone from and iPod touch.

5. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

Making the Touch into a full on UMPC will separate it from the iPhone on top of filling a gap in the Apple lineup but restricting it from 3rd party accessories, customization,etc and limiting it to just being a PMP will make it vulnerable for better to come a long. Tons of PMPs in East Asia have camera's and will make its way to American shores soon.

edit: oh the Archos can be used as a DVR with a bullet cam plugged in and it has wifi

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I've always thought the answer to this is to ensure that there are differences between the Touch and iPhone

7. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

The reason why it doesn't have a camera is because the SDK cannot access the dock connector. So no camera,keyboard,game pad, gps, etc

I wish the Touch was not so restrictive it would have a lot of potential :(

8. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

LOL, why do people say such stupid things? The touch is just a music player, that is why it has videos, YouTube, notepad, games, applications, calendar, alarms, stopwatch, contacts, email, app store, stocks, weather, etc, etc, etc...

Is it really that hard for you to grasp the idea of the usability of a camera on such a device?

That is why there are no add on cameras, but not why there is no camera built in. I'm certain they'll add this on one of the next updates. (hardware updates, not software updates)

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Why don't you ask why they haven't they put a phone in the Touch yet too while you're at it?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea a phone and internet everywhere should be in the next revision of the ipod touch. would be very nice

11. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I don't think they will ever make a built-in camera because they would have to make it thicker. Apple does not do thicker. Unless of course they start feeling the heat like some East Asian PMPs with the camera's come over and become popular. Then maybe....

12. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

They put isight into the macbook air didnt they?

13. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

there are a ton of apps that could make use of a camera, myspace, facebook, blogging, other social apps, or just general shooting pics. If they really want to promote the new iphoto, add a camera and a gps.

14. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha. Oh man! I bet you felt REALLY Awesome saying that didn't you? Nice Job :rolleyes:

15. MrSEC macrumors regular

That's going a bit far.That would be like me saying they shouldn't make the iphone able to play music because it's a phone.

I don't think putting a camera on an ipod touch is a bad idea,I've actually wished I had one on mine several times.Believe me I would much rather have the iphone,but AT&T doesn't get service at my house,so I'm out of luck.:(

16. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the iPod Touch plain and simple is a media player with the added bonus of mail, weather, app store apps, theres no need for a camera just use your phone or get an actual camera.

how can you be certain they will add it? you don't work on the iPod Touch team nor apple do you? and why specify "(hardware updates, not software updates)" it's not like a camera can be added through software update now is it:rolleyes:

17. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

there's no certainty either way, whatever you think the ipod is or isn't.

18. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

... because there was need to add cameras to cell phones in the first place? This post is identical to so many when people started asking for cameras on their phones.

Because if the poster hadn't specified which update, SOMEONE would have replied saying "software updates can't add cameras, stupid". But apparently the poster can't please everyone.

19. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

lol... you're so right, someone would have pointed that out.

20. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the answer there then is (which is identical to so many posts) get an iPhone lol

21. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

The only time I would ever use a camera on my Touch is when I'm on a treadmill behind a real hottie and thats just creepy. Please no camera!

22. DCBass macrumors 6502

Why not a iPhone, but without the phone part?

I really don't know why there is such a pushback against having a camera. The whole "because it's a music player" argument is moot. Sure Apple threw it into the iPhone because every other phone out there has one. However, that doesn't mean that people don't find it useful or that developers haven't taken advantage of it yet.

And while we're talking about the camera, why not throw in GPS as well? It would still be helpful to append geotags to pics taken on the touch, but it would really shine if Apple/Google or someone else like Garmin would offer downloadable maps for offline use.

There really is no reason not to have this. I'd certainly be willing to pay a little bit more for a phone-less iPhone than I would for a same-size iPod touch. I have absolutely zero desire to pay an extra $30 a month. You hear them apples, Apple?

Of course, for me, if the data plan becomes $10-$15 extra a month... screw it. Then, I'll get an iPhone.

Cheers,

DCBass

23. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

It is because Apple wants to sell you an iPhone which they make more money from. End of. The iPod touch is just a simplified music player that happens to function the iPhone OS and it's apps. It's the same reason why it doesn't have GPS, 3G and an actual phone.

24. DCBass macrumors 6502

I perfectly understand that they'd prefer to sell me an iPhone. However, there's certainly a price point, higher than the current touch, where they wouldn't mind someone buying the touch instead of an iPhone. Perhaps that price point would be too high, and therefore inconceivable for an iPod touch. After all, you are right, it's not just the additional cost of the components, but it is the opportunity cost as well. In this case, sacrificing some proportion of buyers who would have otherwise purchased an iPhone.

Just to clarify though, I don't think 3G has any place in a touch. That would require a contract/connection through AT&T or some other provider. My whole point is to get away from that relationship entirely. I don't need to have internet access 24-7 that badly. I just want the niftiest, stand-alone device possible. And surely, what I outlined in my first post can be easily done.

On another note, I don't think that Apple is necessarily opposed to these ideas. The iPod touch is a fairly hot-selling item as it is, and adding additional features would only provide small, marginal gains. Perhaps they are keeping these features, and others (the mind boggles), reserved for when they could use an increase in sales.

Crossing my fingers,

DCBass