iPod Touch can't get past router's Firewall

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Chorny, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Chorny macrumors member

New/used 32 GB 4th gen Touch, my first.
    Banged my head against the wall last night trying to get internet to feed, and finally figured out it was my Asus router's Firewall. I have it turned off for now but need to figure out what I need to do to have the iPod able to connect with router turned on. Can't find a clue on via search-- any help appreciated.
    Here's the Firewall page in the admin controls as they look now:[​IMG]

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

3. Chorny thread starter macrumors member

Thank you-- but there's every kind of info there except relating to Firewall.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

5. Chorny thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again. Wondering what you see within this info that looks like it might apply?
    I'm thinking maybe there's some setting of address I need to enter in the Touch somewhere to be able to have the Firewall up, but no clue as to what.

6. JediMeister, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

JediMeister macrumors 68040

Well, the purpose of the second article is just to show what ports you'd have to have open on the router to be able to update and network your Apple product(s); I'm not sure specifically what in there would apply to this situation. In all honesty, I have little experience configuring non-Apple routers so that follow-up post was more of a shot in the dark than anything. You may be able to contact ASUS for some recommendations on what to tweak with both of those articles in hand, or maybe another poster can offer some ideas.

As far as having to input something on the iPod touch, the Wi-Fi options are very limited. You can set up the iPod to get an IP through DHCP, BootP, or Static, or to use a HTTP proxy, and that's about it. I don't think those would be beneficial in this configuration though. To access those options I mentioned above, tap on the blue circle with the > in it to the right of the network name.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If the problem is not getting internet then I think your problem is "Enable Web Access from WAN" is set to No.
    I think you want Yes.

8. Chorny thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, will give that a shot. Wondering why this doesn't keep all my macs, and friends' i-devices from connecting.

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If you have friends that can get onto your router with their iOS devices then the problem isn't your router.
    Defective Touch?
    Have you tried restoring it?

10. Chorny thread starter macrumors member

Yes, tried everything- restoring made no difference. It was not until I turned off the firewall as pictured and described that I could suddenly connect. The touch worked fine as soon as I did, and had no problem with a network in a bar last night.
    You remind me of the guy who will ride up and tell you your frame is probably cracked when your bicycle's making an unidentified noise...

11. Chorny thread starter macrumors member

Enable Web Access from WAN?
    This feature allows you to config RT-N12 from the Internet. If you are under Home Gateway mode, please access RT-N12 with 8080 port(i.e. http://Your WAN IP:8080).

I guess I remember why I didn't select this before-- it has nothing to do with this problem. Hoping someone who understands iOS and Firewalls will come along . . .

----------

So I turn the Firewall back on and *bam*, no connecto.

12. Chorny thread starter macrumors member

I went back through these links just to try random things, and the info here said WPA-2 was recommended; I had WPA enabled and changed it to WPA-2, and now have connectivity even though the Firewall is enabled.

Herzlichen Dank Herr Meister!

13. JediMeister macrumors 68040