iPod touch capacity

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by davidy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Rather than bury this in another ongoing thread which was deteriorating into a slug fest, I'd like an explanation of one thing:

Why do some of you feel you have to carry your entire library of music, videos and whatever around with you in your iPod touch?

My basic question concerns needing 16GB rather than 8GB, or 32GB rather than 16GB. What is the bid deal with syncing to your computer one a week or so to swap out old stuff for new?

I have an 8GB touch with enough music that it would take 3 days to listen to all of it. Also two full length movies, 10 days of a podcast and a couple hundred photos. This all fills 3/4 of the available space.

The next time you sync, check your "last played" collumn. I'm sure you'll find quite a bit you haven't heard in months. Do you really have to carry those with you at all times?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or criticizing, I'm just curious about the thought processes that make you want more than you can possibly use in a week. Other than the coolness factor or just because you can.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

What happens if you go on vacation for a couple of weeks. Two 5 hour+ plane trips alone could use up a lot of the video time.

3. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I do both, depending on which iPod I am using.

I think it's more a matter of convenience than anything else, to not have to sort through your library and try to decide what to/no to put on the smaller capacity iPod.

On my large one, I figure that everything that I might possibly want to listen to or watch is on it, even if I don't.

On my iPod Touch, I have a playlist that it pretty much anything I ever listen to and my podcasts.

MacDann

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I'd rather just carry everything, just a preference

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

By having your entire library on your iPod, you can have the freedom to select whatever you want to listen to or watch at a moments notice.

IMHO, this has nothing to do with being cool.

Some on the other hand, only carry what they want to listen to or watch.

6. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

my thoughts entirely, if you have a good selection of music admittedly not all of it may be your favourite however when your laid on a beach somewhere and have the urge to play that "one song" you know you have in your collection and you cant play it cos its at home on your mac you would be in total tears!!!

(well i would)
    (ok maybe for a minute or so)

7. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

My point too. If I'm going to be away for a few days (and certainly if it's going to be a fortnight or more) I like to have as many films as I can on my iPod Touch - I mightn't get around to watching them all but it's great to have a choice (eg if I'm feeling gloomy I might like to avoid Into the Wild :) ). So yeah, the bigger the capacity the better.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

I upgraded to the 32GB not only because my iTunes library is about 35GB, but also because my commute is across the atlantic twice a week.

9. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Wow I guess that could get boring especially if you dont have an Itouch :cool:

Love your avatar btw :D

10. simplyme91 macrumors newbie

I prefer to carry around whole music library because:
    1. I'm lazy
    and
    2.I don't know what I'm going to want to listen to a couple hours from now. Right now I want to listen to Taylor Swift, but in an hour I might want to listen to some hyper pop music.

11. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i put my playlists on my touch, and everything on my video. i carry the touch daily, and keep the video around for vacations or longer drives or something when i think i may have the urge to hear something i don't normally listen to.

8GB is really plenty for daily use.

12. MunnyGuy macrumors member

A buddy said the same thing to me about the 30GB hard drive on his brand new laptop a couple of years ago.

"Why do you need bigger???" He asked. Try to sell a laptop with 30 GB today.

Same reason most (not all) 8GB Ipod Touch owners are sort of wishing they had a 16GB. I am anticipating alot with SDK and have several movies that are necessary stand bys for my 2 year old son and 7 year old daughter.

The old saying in cars is : "There is no replacement for displacement."

Any geek worth there salt would say the same about RAM and storage space.:D

"640K ought to be enough for anybody. - "Bill Gates, 1981

13. cowboy fan macrumors newbie

I remember my dad buying a 100mb hard drive, everyone he knew thought he was crazy, they said he'd never need to use all that.

14. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

My music and video collection is small enough to actually fit the 16 and leave a few gigs left. So for me, it's a no brainer.

15. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I have an 8gb iTouch. Right now I have 612 songs, 25 photos, 1 movie. I can't see myself going through all those songs in three days.
    When I travel, which is at least once a month, the MBP will be going with me anyhow. So, 8gb is enough. Sure 16gb would be nice, but I'd still sync everday, swap music, and add and subtract movies/shows.

16. davidy thread starter macrumors 6502

davidy

OK, I got it.

I just do things differently - sync frequently, removing the most recently played items and bringing in ones not heard in a while. I might keep a few of the more popular ones but in general I like to rotate them.

Movies are loaded in one or two at a time and replaced after I've seen them.

I suppose that if I was going on vacation I might load a lot, but even that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, except for the travel time. My reasons for being on vacation don't include listening to music or watching a movie while ignoring the world around me.

17. beppo macrumors member

as long as you have a computer nearby-> 8GB

All I need is 8gb at first I thought about 16 but then I made a playlist on iTunes and found out it wasn't worth $100 bucks more.
    362 songs
    5 vids (a short film, movie, tv episode, and two music videoes.)
    616 photos

All that with 2.9 GB left.

18. BassistKing1 macrumors member

well they have 160gb ipods too :D my bro has one, and he said its nice to be able to listen to whatever u want, instead of his old ipod (1st gen 2gb nano) which he had to re-sync all the time, cuz he has a ton of music (he just gets discography's, and one was pink floyd which was like 2.5gb lol)

19. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I thought when 32 GB came out I would be pissed, but I actually think 16GB is plenty for me. I hope apps don't take up too much space.

8GB would be too small because I am currently using the "checkbox system" to manage my music and I do listen to all of my checked music and find that I have about 8GB of music I like listening to often. It's amazing I know, but I have a lot of stuff I like having; not just for myself, but for other people as well.

20. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Yep :)

21. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I'm with the OP, I don't need to carry everything with me on my Touch, and am content with syncing as I go. On the other hand, this is merely a preference, and there is no right or wrong here. Those of you who prefer having as much of your content with you at all times, I think it's great you have the option to do so. I don't think it's lazy or anything negative. It's an option for many, so yay! :)

I think the only time this is an issue is when someone is considering a purchase, and isn't sure if they prefer syncing frequently over having everything on hand. So now they have plenty of examples of the pros and cons prior to purchasing. :)