Ipod touch charging problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bluetech, Jan 31, 2008.

1. bluetech macrumors newbie

The USB 2.0 cable that came with my ipod touch doesn't seem to charge my ipod when I connect it to a USB Power Adapter. But it charges fine when I connect it to my laptop.
    Do I need a different cable in order to charge it using a power adapter?

Thanks

2. boz0 macrumors regular

Apple put some kind of locking system on the Touch's port, so that it only works with Apple-certified devices. Yes, it's ugly.

Many people seem to have had success with former iPod's power adapters. On the other hand, I was faced with the same problem, my old USB power adapter failed to charge the Touch (as did an Windows 2000 box at the training lab, btw). I bought the Apple power adapter, and it works like a charm, but I still feel that they ripped me :p

3. AlphaBob macrumors regular

AlphaBob

No problem with several iPod power adapters

My wife and I both have an iPod Touch. I have been using a Griffin iJolt power adapter that is at least two years old (both the AC and DC version). She is using some no-name USB power adapter that was a freebie with the Touch purchase. And we each have an Apple plug in supply of older vintage (a couple of years old). All of those work with no problem.

I do know that the Touch pulls a fair amount of current. Not all adapters can put out the required power (and there is some USB handshaking that goes on where the device has to request higher power). That might be your issue.