iPod Touch Cloud Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DeXtA, Oct 3, 2007.

1. DeXtA macrumors member

Warning to all those that are considering buying the iPod touch Wi-Fi. The link that you click for the "iPod touch" music pack may not the be correct one! I have purchased it and then after the purchase a side item told me "Please note, this will only work with skype." I am going through customer support right now to sort the problem out or get this straight. If it is just for Skype then I will be taking some serious action, talk about false advertising! Before you say it, I traced my links back and yes I did go for the iPod touch special scheme.
    I don't know 100% if it is just for skype. I will keep you all updated!

-David.

2. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

What is this cloud you are talking about? Sounds like an intricate scam, who did you buy the pack from?

3. freeman24 Guest

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

UK users can subscribe to an extended Wi-Fi cloud service for a few bucks a month. Think T-mobile hotspots in the US, but probably more ubiquitous.

5. dcv macrumors G3

"The Cloud" is a wifi provider in the UK - there is currently a special offer for iPod touch owners - sounds like the OP is confused as to whether they have activated the correct service for him.

6. DeXtA thread starter macrumors member

Could be. I am tempted to just go down the road and try it out. However, T&C say that if one uses the service then the 7 day money back is invalid! Grrrr.

Right now I am waiting for an email back. My main concern is that I definitly clicked on the iPod touch service page, I may not be the only one being screwed here :(

7. sananda macrumors 68020

call owen geddes at the cloud. he is the one who set up the service and he was posting here a while back.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think it's only fair to let them try to resolve it before berating them. It is a brand new option that they've responded to demand for pretty quickly. I'll be signing up when I return to the UK.

9. sananda macrumors 68020

i don't think anyone's berating them. the op just doesn't know if he has been signed up or not. a quick call would solve the problem.

10. TheCloud macrumors newbie

Dexta

if you signed up for the 3.99 tariff its the correct one - it sounds like there is a bit of text you received that slipped through the Q&A net. I will get the product problem sorted tomorrow. If you havent gone through to customer services yet, email me your details and I will get someone to get in touch with you tomorrow.

Thanks for flagging it, we will check it out pronto.

regards

Owen
    owen DOT geddes AT thecloud DOT net

11. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

12. TheCloud macrumors newbie

Vigilante

I'm afraid we are only in Europe at the moment :)

13. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

I'm fine stealing Wi-Fi from nearby schools, shopping centers, homes, fast food restaurants, restaurants... ;)

Ironically, the only places I don't get Wi-Fi are in my car (since I jump between others too often) and at home. I wouldn't mind paying a monthly fee for home use alone though, that would be quite nice, come to America please! :)

14. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

umm, why don't you just buy a wireless router (assuming you have an internet connection at home...)

15. DeXtA thread starter macrumors member

Ok guys after contacting the helpful guys at customer service I am now up and running. Just tryed it out at my local McDondalds. Very fast, no log in or anything! Thumbs up from me :)

Oh and thanks for the response Owen! The problem has been solved, I will be using this for some time in the future if the speed stays the same.

I would recommend this to anyone using a touch who is out and about, I found loads of hotsports in my local area.

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

17. sananda macrumors 68020

sounds great!

18. DeXtA thread starter macrumors member

Although I'm sure it would be great for you guys the truth is probably its not. The US is considerably more wide and open than the UK. Most places over here or in Europe have a public house or shopping centre every few miles or so.

Hopefully some company will be generous and hit you guys up!

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Hopefully WiMAX will come to fruition in the next few years.

I think it's amazing that, if a few years ago you'd mentioned that we would have high-speed wireless internet everywhere we went, I'd have peed in your Cheerios.

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Glad that it's working and that you're finding so many hotspots. I'm sure I'll be signing up too.

Can I suggest though that you update the thread title to remove the 'Warning' since the service is working as advertised?

21. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I saw the same thing as you, but I ignored it assuming it was an error on the page. The service works as expected.