iPod Touch crashes constantly (Not Safari)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by OnlyUnless, Jan 4, 2009.

1. OnlyUnless macrumors newbie

Hi, my iPod Touch 16gb (1st gen) has a slight issue. It likes to crash... a lot.

It has occurred numerous times where I push the sleep/wake button to put the iPod touch into sleep mode, put it in my pocket, then 5 minutes later went to check the time or an app, and it appeared to be dead. The only way to get it to turn on after that is to simultaneously push and hold the sleep/wake button and the home button for 10-15 seconds for a force restart.

Other times the same thing has happened, however instead of appearing to be dead, the entire screen is either bright white, or made up of vertical blue and white lines.

I was really hoping that it was a software issue, and I updated my iPod Touch to v2.2 last night looking for a fix for the problem. (I restored it with iTunes to make sure.) It was working perfectly for a few hours, and then I went to check on it and experienced the full white screen which required a force restart.

So, what could be my problem here? Since restoring it to factory default settings through iTunes did not solve my problem, should I bring it to an Apple Store? Will I be able to get a new iPod Touch under warrantee?

2. intempo808 macrumors regular

When I sent mine back, I only had about 30 days left of my warranty, and the warranty for the new one you receive is for the time you had left with your previous iPod. So if you've had it for like 6 months, then your new one will only have warranty for the other 6 months left of the year.

3. OnlyUnless thread starter macrumors newbie

intempo808, that's fine by me. As long as I can get a new one that will not crash, I'm happy.

If I were to return it though, would I have to give them proof that it crashes though?

4. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

When you return the touch it will get tested by Apple engineers to check the fault. If you take it back to an Apple Store they can check it there and then and exchange it straight away.

You won't get a new one but a refurb.

5. OnlyUnless thread starter macrumors newbie

Humm. Is it standard to get a refurbished iPod back, or is it because it's "outdated" (1gen)?

6. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Standard practice is to get back the same generation as you are bringing in, so bring in 1st gen, get 1st gen refurb. If you bought a 2nd gen in, you'd get a refurb, unless it was within the 14 day return period. There will always be exceptions to this though but expect a refurb.

Due to a battery issue after 9 months, I had my touch replaced with a a refurb. It was cosmetically perfect and has also been perfect hardware wise in the 6 months I have had it.

7. OnlyUnless thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info/help big-blue-wolf. I'm stopping by an Apple Retail Store this weekend, so I will most likely present the problem to them.

Thanks again!