iPod Touch Debate

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CedarPoint182, Jun 15, 2008.

  1. CedarPoint182 macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2006
    Ever since the iPhone came out I've really wanted one, but sadly, being on Verizon, I was not going to get it. The iPod Touch came out and it seemed like the perfect compromise. I was hoping I'd receive one as a gift for Christmas, but no such luck. With a difficult yet successful school year behind me I feel like I'm worthy of a bit of a reward. :) So, I've decided to splurge and buy myself an iPod Touch.

    I elected on the 16GB iPod Touch as for movies, 8GB seemed way to small. My old 5th generation iPod, kept in great condition, seems to be selling reasonably high on eBay and I think that could bring in about $150. I also have $50 in Best Buy gift certificates that have been sitting dormant for years. So this means that in effect, the $400 16GB iPod Touch would only cost me $200 which doesn't seem too bad.

    Now, I realize that iPod updates occur in the Fall but I don't want to wait that long, as by then I'd forget why I was getting myself this "gift" in the first place. I have 3 questions that I need advice on:

    1. Anyone think I should wait until the 3G iPhone is released? Again, I'm willing to pay $200 (keeping in mind my gift certificates and allowance on old iPod), but wouldn't want to do so if everyone is thinking a large price drop is only a few weeks away.

    2. On best buy, they are including a $25 iTunes gift certificate with the purchase of a 16GB iPod Touch. This offer also applies to $379 iPod Touch having the old software version. Couldn't I buy this, and then use the $25 iTunes gift card towards purchasing the software update?

    3. Let's say I buy the $379 iPod Touch with the old software. Once the 2.0 software comes out in July for $9.99 will that include the January update, or will I still have to pay an additional $20 to get that?

    Thanks for any advice,
  2. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Jun 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL, USA
    1. Nah, there most likely be a price drop. The iPhone is subsidized, and it's pricing scheme is completely different than that of the iPod line.
    2. Yes, then you'd save some money. But if you would buy music or videos on iTunes, it doesn't really matter. But keep in mind that the software update from Macworld is no longer for sale on iTunes. You'd have to wait until the release of 2.0.
    3. Nobody knows.
  3. FishStik macrumors newbie

    Nov 30, 2007
    For number 3, I'm pretty sure you would have to pay for both. The 2.0 Software Update and the January Update are two separate updates, and I think Apple will keep it that way.
  4. razorianfly macrumors 65816


    Oct 16, 2007
    Cheshire, United Kingdom
    Saying this, Apple have currently pulled the January Software Upgrade from distribution on iTunes, possibly in light of the v2.0 announcement.

  5. bcode macrumors newbie


    Nov 22, 2006
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Though it hasn't been announced just yet, I believe there will be a smaller form factor Touch out for the back to school rush... nearing the end of the summer.

    2.8 inch iPod Touch form-factors have been manufactured and photographed, and since the iPhone was not released with 2 different sizes, it only makes sense that apple is making the touch slightly smaller and more than likely slightly cheaper(maybe $179.00?) than the iPhone.

    Even though the iPhone is subsidized from AT&T, consumers won't see the benefit of buying an iPod Touch if it remains more expensive than it's full-featured big brother. Therefore a price-drop is pretty much inevitable, and a hardware update, just as much so.

    Look for apple to slowly phase out all click-wheel iPod designs and phase in multi-touch technology where ever possible. Including all models of the iPhone, less the shuffle.

Share This Page