Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
According to Engadget it looks like the iPod Touch isn't an iPhone without the phone after all, because it doesn't even have OS X! Am I reading this right? Say it ain't so?! Does this mean so much for importing iPhone apps and the potential for this thing becoming a true PDA?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
As already said, the iPhone does have OS X, this one just shipped without it somehow.

The more interesting point raised by this is the disabled Bluetooth icon.

http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Forums/iPodTouchDisabledBluetooth.jpg

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
/sigh of relief

Thank God, I don't think I can justify purchasing it without the potential of getting more apps later. And Bluetooth! Wooot! Yes, I'd love there to be BT more so than even capacity. BT headphones! It's 2007, it's about time. No more tangled headphone wires in your pocket. Not to mention the possibility of BT iTunes synching and of course VOIP!

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
I wonder if that's just the same diagnostic utility used on the iPhone, therefore it has the bluetooth icon but shows it as disabled (or not present) on the Touch. I'd be thrilled if it had bluetooth, but I think it's extremely unlikely that Apple would include the hardware and disable it.

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
I wonder how long it would take these blog sites to take one apart and rest this case once and for all?

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
As already said, the iPhone does have OS X, this one just shipped without it somehow.

The more interesting point raised by this is the disabled Bluetooth icon.

http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Forums/iPodTouchDisabledBluetooth.jpg

There's no Bluetooth radio in the iPod touch. Ergo, the icon in the diagnostic software, which is probably the same utility for both touch and iPhone, has a big red X on it. Meaning, hardware not present.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Source?

I don't know if there is or isn't, but unless you can show me someone who has pulled one to pieces and looked, it's not completely beyond the realms of possibility.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

It's not there. They're not going to lie in the specs. I mean, it would be useless, anyway. BT in the iPhone only supports voice and it's possible they could update it to support something like stereo headphones -- which are awful quality by the way -- but I doubt it. There's just no reason in a touch. Also, the devices look similar but they are not exactly the same.

Anyway, your photo sort of proves my point. The big red X under all reasonable circumstances of diagnostic software interface would mean hardware not present.

Why does everyone want the iPod touch to really be an iPhone with everything switched off when you can get an actual iPhone for the same price as the 16GB?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Because Apple don't say it's there on the specs page doesn't exactly prove a lot one way or the other :rolleyes:

It *could* be there but not enabled by firmware, pending a future update when apple release their own stupidly over priced bluetooth matching headphones.

The red X doesn't mean much either, there's a red X on the battery next to it. You trying to tell me that means there's no battery?

caMi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

It's not there. They're not going to lie in the specs. I mean, it would be useless, anyway. BT in the iPhone only supports voice and it's possible they could update it to support something like stereo headphones -- which are awful quality by the way -- but I doubt it. There's just no reason in a touch. Also, the devices look similar but they are not exactly the same.

Anyway, your photo sort of proves my point. The big red X under all reasonable circumstances of diagnostic software interface would mean hardware not present.

Why does everyone want the iPod touch to really be an iPhone with everything switched off when you can get an actual iPhone for the same price as the 16GB?

Just like they didn't lie about including wireless N in the last gen iMacs?

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Because Apple don't say it's there on the specs page doesn't exactly prove a lot one way or the other :rolleyes:

It *could* be there but not enabled by firmware, pending a future update when apple release their own stupidly over priced bluetooth matching headphones.

The red X doesn't mean much either, there's a red X on the battery next to it. You trying to tell me that means there's no battery?

I suspect the red X is on the battery because the diag. software is designed for the iPhone and either ended up on that touch by mistake or they're just using it for the touch. The red X is on the battery because there's no iPhone battery in there.

The iPod touch is *not* an iPhone. It is built on the same general hardware architecture and runs the same OS, but they are not the same device. Telling me there's BT in the iPod touch is like telling me there's 16GB of flash in my iPhone and it's just waiting for Apple to enable access to it with a firmware update. It's so improbable it's tantamount to impossible.

You would think people who want an iPod touch want an iPod touch and people who want an iPhone want an iPhone. But apparently this is not the case. But they are different devices. Please note they do not even have the same form factor.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Telling me there's BT in the iPod touch is like telling me there's 16GB of flash in my iPhone and it's just waiting for Apple to enable access to it with a firmware update. It's so improbable it's tantamount to impossible.
What a ridiculous comparison :rolleyes:

There is a reason why BT would be in the Touch, BT audio. It's a long way from impossible.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Just like they didn't lie about including wireless N in the last gen iMacs?

They didn't lie, they just didn't mention the chipset was capable.

"The iPod Touch does not have Bluetooth. Any images on the Internet that may have implied that it did were errors, Joswiak said. Also, there are no games coming for the iPod Touch right now."

http://www.gearlog.com/2007/09/apples_joswiak_we_dont_hate_ip.php

So, Joswiak says no Bluetooth. If it's in there, he's not omitting the capability to turn it on, he's flat-out lying. Which he's not. No Bluetooth. No. Not at all. Not there. No way. No how.

For people who wanted WiFi in an iPod, let's face it, it was like a divine intervention that Apple put it in there -- and probably only because it means more customers for the WiFi Music Store; no WiFi Music Store and they would have left WiFi out. But now you have to have Bluetooth, too?

Apparently many of you would like to buy an iPhone, not an iPod touch. Why wait on the touch to show up in your area? iPhones are in stock all over the place. You can get one today in a few hours when the shops open. Then you get *everything*, at a recently reduced price.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
What a ridiculous comparison :rolleyes:

There is a reason why BT would be in the Touch, BT audio. It's a long way from impossible.

BT audio for hi-fi stereo music, under the current BT standard and hardware, is garbage. Future BT hardware with improvements, sure, maybe, but there is no good reason for current BT in a touch. Granted it does stereo better than the earlier version but it's still subject awful interference, etc., even for mono voice phone use.

Joswiak said the hardware is not in the current touch model. I'm going to go with what he said.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Joswiak said the hardware is not in the current touch model. I'm going to go with what he said.
And you may well be right, hell, if he's said that you probably are. All I'm saying is that to dismiss it as impossible on the basis that Apple didn't mention it on their spec page is silly. Apple like to have a little something up their sleeve from time to time.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
And you may well be right, hell, if he's said that you probably are. All I'm saying is that to dismiss it as impossible on the basis that Apple didn't mention it on their spec page is silly. Apple like to have a little something up their sleeve from time to time.

Yeah, well I went to bed after 11 and got up around 2 in the morning, so I lack clarity and the misunderstanding is my fault for not pointing out Joswiak's statement right off the bat. Joswiak did say no BT hardware in the current touch. So he would have to be flat-out lying if there is. Possible, but highly improbable. It's kind of like no video-out in the iPhone. It's there, and it's one thing to have just not turned it on yet because they don't even have the dock connector cables to support it, but it would be another thingentirely for Apple to have said the hardware won't support it.

Anyway, I'm more interested in two things today: Where is Wifi Store for iPhone, since iPod touches are in the wild and the WiFi Store is live? And where are those $100 store credit details we were promised this week, today being the last business day of this week?

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
I don't know that should I laugh or cry when I see these posts where people jump to conclusions. One person got a touch with no OS installed: "OMG, touch does not have OS X after all!"

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I don't know that should I laugh or cry when I see these posts where people jump to conclusions. One person got a touch with no OS installed: "OMG, touch does not have OS X after all!"

I'm not sure, but I almost soiled myself when I read the stupid thread title.

Who knows why. I just woke up.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA

I'd cry. Like getting a DOA MacBook and saying OMG, MacBooks aren't really laptop computers after all, they are just sculptures of laptop computers.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I'd cry. Like getting a DOA MacBook and saying OMG, MacBooks aren't really laptop computers after all, they are just sculptures of laptop computers.

So...if these things do end up having a disabled Bluetooth chip in 'em, will you own up? I made a bet against Digital Skunk about the validity of the new iMac keyboards and I haven't seen hide nor hair of him since. ;)

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
A mod should edit the thread title its going to confuse a load of people. And annoy the rest of us.......

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
So...if these things do end up having a disabled Bluetooth chip in 'em, will you own up? I made a bet against Digital Skunk about the validity of the new iMac keyboards and I haven't seen hide nor hair of him since. ;)

I'll own up. I would wager, but with holidays and Christmas coming up for our many kids, even a relatively small wager would be irresponsible of me. But PM me if it turns out there is a BT radio in there and I will publicly post an acknowledgment to this forum noting that I was wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.