iPod Touch dilemma

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Inspired, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Inspired macrumors regular

Inspired

THREAD CLOSE THANKS :] Everything is resolved, since it's illegal and impossible to do anyways, no need to flame. Please direct your anger else where. If you're only flaming because it makes you feel like a big man/woman than you may continue but I already said I will not do what I said I was going to do, nothing more you can say really.

I also hope nobody minds if I use this thread for my Psychology Research paper thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's called fraud ... anyway, I think they are sold by serial number, so they would know.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

4. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

x2 on fraud, don't be a slimeball.

If the iPod Touch is physically in good shape, aside from liquid damage, it's probably fine. Theoretically, you could throw the iPod touch around as much as you want, since it has no moving parts inside, it wouldn't matter.

The most notable difference between 1st gen and 2nd gen is that the 2nd gen has the volume button on the left side and a speaker(not visible), whereas the 1st gen does not. Additionally, the 2nd gen's back is much more beveled than the 1st gen.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

So, you want to get a brand new iPod touch at used-iPod touch prices? And this is fair how?

There's a reason used goods are discounted. You pay less, but you accept a greater degree of risk. If you don't like it, pony up and buy one from the Apple store.

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

And when you go to purchase it in person, you wouldn't know if they have or not? I would imagine that the iPod Touch wouldnt work or be in good physical shape if thats the case, you don't have to buy it.

7. brax.j macrumors regular

When you return the iPod to Apple you will be charged a 10% restocking fee so your $180 touch becomes $200 which is the cost of a brand new touch. If I were you buy from the Apple Refurb Store all products are like new but cheaper.

8. bainesajay macrumors member

the irony behind your statement of trusting people is awesome? you fear "other" people scamming you, but do not mind scamming the person who will end up buying your used touch in the apple store. where is your ethics?

i know these are minor crimes, but i think you should really re think what you are doing? a fair society depends on honest people, you are making the world a worse place by doing this.

hopefully you are young and you have time to grow into a better person.

on another note: as long as you deal locally and get the persons contact number and personal 3-5 day money back guarantee, you are more thank okay on craigslist.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

I did it

Mine was new in the box never opened the student gave me the serial number I checked it with apple the warrenty was fine. so I met him at his work he got some extra cash I got a itouch and saved about a $100 and My daughter got her touch for her birthday that she was dreaming about. everybody wins! if you don't trust them then pay the extra money and buy it from Apple! ;)

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. You fear being scammed, but yet are asking how to defraud Apple? What a hypocrite!:rolleyes:

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

and they most certainly shouldn't trust you. :rolleyes:

12. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Apple will also compare serial numbers on the one returned and they will know the one returnes is not the one they sent you. It won't work.

13. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Thanks for the feedbacks, although I felt that I got flamed on more than needed.

To the many post above this one, yes I agree it is wrong, I guess i wont deal on craigslist, since it's a fraud(well that's why I came and asked you guys first, I wanted to check with others opinion).

No, I cannot afford a new ipod touch, I dont have the luxury of buyign a new one, but have been drooling over other people using it for quite some time now.

I dont trust strangers very well because I've been scammed far too many times(I'm sure most of us have been scammed once, don't you get scared? if not, I applaud you) And I guess they shouldn't trust me either.

And to those who might have misread my post and thought I was going to trade in a USED ipod touch for a new one, that's not the case, i was simple going to return a NEW unopen ipod touch still in it's original box for one that apple has, but like i mentioned, since everybody thinks it's a bad idea I will not commit such a thing(not liek i can get away with it anyways because of the serial number)

Once again i want to thank everybody for their feedbacks, although i felt i took more flame than I deserve(you may disagree). I will not commit such a crime, I'll just wait till the recession is over and my parents get their job back before I ask them to buy me an ipod touch, thanks for your time everyone.
    -Inspired

14. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Try getting a job yourself; it will take strain off your parents and the iPod will feel more earned. ;)

15. brax.j macrumors regular

If you can't afford it don't buy it but if you can afford $180 check the refurb store they have a 8GB 2nd Generation touches for $180 and they are like new with the same warranty as a brand new iPod.

16. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

My .02, save up and get a new one or suck it up and buy one from someone you know or possibly even someone on this msg board.

You seriously can't expect to get 'heart felt' comments when your dilemma sounds a bit materialistic..... :rolleyes:

17. jason221 macrumors 6502

Save your money and wait. Most likely there's a new iPod touch being released in September.

18. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Besides asking for advice on doing something ILLEGAL, don't buy the ipod touch even if you were going to actually use it rather than try to cheat the system.

19. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Nope. Nobody misread this post. It's illegal, and nobody wants to hear anymore about this.

20. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired