iPod Touch - does this sound like water damage?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Hello.there, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

I can't post photos at the moment but just wanted to know if this sounds like a water-damaged iPod Touch. It belongs to my teenage niece who promises she didn't drop it in water....but despite her being a teenager :))) I do believe her, I told her I'd replace it anyway because **** happens.

Any way, the screen has gone 'fuzzy' and pink-ish with what looks like a cloud floating in the background. Gulp. When I tried to restore it through iTunes I got a whole bunch of error codes, it just wouldn't work. When you try to restart it it's difficult to get going again, but it is possible to play music, videos, etc.

Water damage, d'you think? Is there only one place for it: the bin?

Thanks.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, to start with, did you check the water damage indicator in the headphone jack?

3. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Err, no. How :)o) do I do that?

4. itsm3cmg macrumors member

Get a flashlight shine it down the headphone jack. If there is a white circle no water damage if there is a pink/red cirlce there is water damage.:D

5. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Wacky update.

I'd given up on the iPod Touch mentioned above, I just assumed water damage had left it beyond repair.

But tonight, a month later, I gave it one last try, hooked it up to my iMac, clicked 'restore' in iTunes and........it's perfect. :confused:

No sign of water damage, all that weirdness on the screen is gone, it's as good as new.

What the heck happened there? :confused:

6. Bizo macrumors newbie

7. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I think whatever was in there dried and evaporated. Time heals all/some wounds.

Last month I spilled water on my Bose control pad/puck. It sounded like the whole thing fried. Static and horrible noise. I ordered a new control pad that day. By the time the new one came, the old one worked like new. Still does. But now I have a new one if that one ever gets damaged!

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

Water usually leaves minimal damage. If it would have been juice, it probably wouldn't be working now. Letting it dry out untouched was wise.