iPod Touch Drop Test

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LucasBoy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. LucasBoy macrumors member

hey people i got a my ipod touch a pretty long ago and since then i dropped it numerous times. not more than 7 i think but i was wondering, by dropping the ipod what is the worst that can happen? does it affect the performance or just a few physical scratches? :apple:

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Today I dropped my 1G iPod Touch from about 3 feet high onto concrete. Picked it up, seemed fine. Tried to resume playing the song (since the headphone plug came out), but I didn't hear any sound after pressing play. Tried a different song, worked fine and has since. Though I haven't tried the song that wouldn't play since then...maybe something happened, I don't know.

The worst that could happen, busted screen. Probably.

3. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I dropped my original iPod touch, and it looked like it had no physicial damage (due to invisible shield) but the headphones wouldn't fit into the iPod, but I took it to the Apple store and they promptly replaced it. :)

5. pab277 macrumors regular

Just today my iPod Touch fell a few feet onto my kitchen floor. It fell on its back and when i looked at the home screen, it had a long gray line going across the screen. i then turned off my ipod, and turned it back on, only to find the screen had gotten really bright and the colors were washed out. I restored it, it didnt help. I guess more than a crack could happen. I guess im just gonna buy a new one when the 3rd gen comes out, im due for a new one anyways since this is a 1st gen.

6. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Since it is flash memory, a cracked screen and or dents would be the worst thing that could happen. I would think you would break your screen way before you actually damage the internals.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

But with no working screen who cares what's on the hard drive. ;)

8. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

True...but there is no hard drive.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I used that for lack of a better word. I didn't want to say nand flash drives or whatever it's called. :p. I'm too lazy to look up it's proper name. I think the OP got the point. ;)

10. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Yea im sure he did, just making sure he didn't think it was a hard drive which would be a lot more susceptible to damage than flash memory.

11. WeeShoo macrumors regular

With any kind of electronic device, there is always some sensitive electronics, such as the motherboard, or other type of hardware that will hold all of the components of the device together. Just like in your computer, there is a miniscule motherboard in the iPod touch, it holds the chipset, the processing unit, and also the connections for your headphone port, your lcd ribbon connection, and the connection for the memory device. Dropping the iPod touch no matter from what distance, could crack the screen, or break a connection in the iPod's innards. The iPod touches are quite durable, and can take a fall, but over time dropping the device could evenually loosen a connection, or cause a malfunction.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I remember both of my friends dropped their 1Gs. It was so funny how they spent $50 on cases/screen protectors but the one time the cases/screen protectors were off the iPod, they dropped it. One was a 32Gb version, man that sucked.

13. Adamt600 macrumors newbie

Ugly chinease products

A friend got me an ipod touch 3g as gift and while i was opening the rigid box, it slipped out infront of all my friends and split in two . Although it was like 3feet from ground, the whole metal side got bent and scrapped and the glass shattered into 2 or 3 big pieces
    Only one week later, i found out it was bought from hong kong!!be careful out there, these products are made to be broken so u buy casings and all

14. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Were you playing need for speed or avatar at the time?