Ipod Touch Expert Needed

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bluegreeniguana, Apr 22, 2009.

1. bluegreeniguana macrumors newbie

Hi expert IPODERs,

I have an Ipod Touch and a Mac.

I bought a second Ipod Touch online as a gift for someone that has a PC.

I want to load songs & movies onto the new Ipod Touch before I give it to them using an Itunes gift card and buying the apps not adding mine to theirs.

When I turn on the new Ipod it shows the itunes plug in pic and wants me to plug into computer. I dont have their computer. If I plug into my Mac I think it will erase and have to reset when it gets linked to the PC after?

Experts- how do I get by this so I can go to the itunes store on the new ipod to add music etc to it when I do not have the PC belonging to who is receiving it.

Please help- I just want to take the ipod out of the box, get into it so I can load things on it and then give it away where they will then connect to their computer.

Thanks
    Much!

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you need to plug it in to activate the iPod, since it is a new iPod theres nothing on it to erase so I don't see the reason for being worried about erasing anything.

as for the whole you want to put music video and apps on before giving the iPod to the person this is fine enough but the problem comes when they plug it into their PC you would need to log in to that pc's iTunes and authorise the computer so that they can transfer the purchases to their PC.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Sync what you want onto it, and then set it to "Manually Manage Music and Videos" (this will stop iTunes from syncing it with everything and anything in your library, only the stuff that you want). Now, when it's connected to your friend's computer, you will have to sign into the iTunes Store using your account information and authorise the computer (there's an authorise option in the menus). It will also come up asking if you want to erase the iPod and sync it with that iTunes - click no. After it's authorised, go File -> Transfer purchases from iPod - the stuff you bought should be transferred to their iTunes. Now, log out of your iTunes account. Now, disconnect and reconnect the iPod. You will now get the same "do you want to erase?" message. Click yes, because it will just sync the same stuff back to it as it is now in iTunes. Remember to uncheck "Manually Manage", by the way.

Alternatively, you could go into the iTunes Store on the day you give them the iPod, and 'gift' their account with those apps/songs/etc, and they will be able to download them on their own account when they open iTunes. This means that they won't have to go through the hassle of having to get you to log into their iTunes to authorise the computer if they have to, say, reinstall the OS or get a new computer (because if it isn't authorised with your account the songs and apps will not play on the iPod).