iPod Touch External GPS?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jomskylark, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Jomskylark macrumors regular

It's been a while now so it seems that somebody would have made an external GPS for the iPod Touch... has somebody?

I have the first generation if that matters. I am looking to use it with those apps that reward you prizes for going places. :)

Thanks!

2. Jomskylark thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

Will the turn-by-turn devices like Tom Tom or Magellan work as alternatives? So you don't use a car just the device to provide GPS.

3. ve6frm1 macrumors newbie

From a newby on this site.....

I just got a new product from the USA.... actually from the Dual Electronics group. It is an external GPS designed for the Ipod touch.

It is one of the cleanest items that I have ever gotten hold of, (design wise) and its performance is amazing.

There is a free app called "NavAtlas" that only works with this device, but when the two are turned loose the performance rivals my Garmin and blows away my TOM TOM.

For those that want a REAL gps location, instead of the fake one produced from the wifi thing ... then this is the way to go.

http://gpscradle.dualav.com/index.html

Good Luck all!

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Interesting since the website says it is not even available yet. More of an issue the website provides no physical address for the company.

5. chrisz macrumors newbie

6. zacksba Guest

This is their main page actually. The other link is only their product page for the GPS. They are based in Florida according to their information.

http://www.dualav.com/

There is another discussion by Dual themelves in the forums on this product. They stated that this is priced at $199, so I am not even interested anymore myself. Plus, they have had months of delays on this, but apparently the product has been shipped to their retail seller. I have not seen any actual selling link at this point yet though.

I am still interested to see though what people say about it. It also apparently works with other Nav softwares.

7. WLS macrumors 65816

Interesting and does look good. You choices with a first gen are limited because it has no BlueTooth.
    It's a bit pricey but if/when Amazon picks it up the price may drop some.
    I'm impressed that it also can power your Touch in a pinch.
    I am concerned about how much weight that extra battery is going to add.
    Me want..

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

For less $199 you can buy a Garmin Nuvi that has voice directions and plugs into the car socket. Why pay for $199 for something to add on to an iPod Touch and then you need batteries for 2 devices?

9. WLS macrumors 65816

well because I have a GPS that mounts in the car already so why get another?
    This device comes with you which may be useful while say hiking or wandering around a strange town or say using location based services. But the weight and thickness it adds may be a deal breaker.

10. rcappo macrumors regular

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1062

This gps add-on is now at the Apple Store. Has anybody used it?

I am trying to figure out the best way to add latitude & longitude to my Canon RAW photos. There are a few products that will do this, but there are a few downsides to using them. There are the dedicated GPS units that will log your route and software to mesh the times as well. But, if I could get this for my ipod touch (and if there is software that will run on the ipod touch to keep track without using much battery power), I might be able to use other GPS apps (bike speed monitor and mapping & the included color map)