iPod Touch external speakers

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by JAYGEE, May 29, 2008.

1. JAYGEE macrumors member

JAYGEE

I heard that the iPod Touch doesn't have any external speakers. Is this true?

When I buy an iPod Touch (after the 2.0 software update), and I am playing a game, that will mean I will have to use the headphones to listen to the games sounds. I don't really want to be wearing the headphones, while playing games :mad:.

I hope Apple release the second gen Touch with external speakers :p.

2. brandonzar macrumors regular

The Touch has an internal speaker that will play alarms (very quietly) that consist of a series of beeps, but that is the extent of its abilities. I would like to see a speaker put onto the Touch in the next generation, but this seems to be a hotly debated topic on the forum. :rolleyes:

3. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

You could also hook up one of those little $10 speakers.

Agreed that external speakers is a hot topic. I'm on the opposing fence. I don't like the idea that it'll make the ipod bulkier or the fact that there will be little holes that dust and gunk will be caught in.

4. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

None of the other iPods in the range feature loud speakers so why should the touch?

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

While a speaker would be nice in some instances, the last thing we need is a bunch of people now having the ability to blare their iPods in public places.

6. atthecross macrumors 6502

7. JAYGEE thread starter macrumors member

JAYGEE

That looks good, but not really that mobile. When I get a touch, I want to be able to play a game without having to use the headphones. If I go to a friends house, and where both sat there, it's a bit impractical us both sat there with a headphone each. I'd like to be able to hear the game, without headphones.

8. JAYGEE thread starter macrumors member

JAYGEE

That would be a problem, but people do it with their phones now.

9. brandonzar macrumors regular

These look like they will be pretty nice for watching movies, but might be impractical for games, plus they won't be released until later this summer. I'm guessing the price will be pretty high too.

http://www.livespeakr.com/index.html

I agree that people can be annoying with portable devices that have speakers, but that doesn't mean that the speaker isn't a practical feature. If they are annoying you tell them to stop, it's that easy. A speaker would be great for private use at home (I don't like wearing headphones while sitting on the can ;)) and more importantly it would allow me to really use the alarm feature. Besides there are plenty of other devices that people will use to annoy you, one more won't make a big difference.

10. iGothic Pro macrumors newbie

are you sure it doesn't have built in speakers? which version do you have

11. Drucifer macrumors regular

Where I work there are already tons of ignorant people who blast their music so load you can hear it crystal clear through their headphones from quite a distance. These people are usually using the cheap stock Apple iPod headphones which will probably crap out on them anyway but these are the people I would hate to see with an iPod that has an external speaker.

12. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

To kind of revive the topic here, I have been watching youtube videos that show no connection to the touch but you can hear music and the videos playing. Maybe I am dreaming. Well I will find out tonight since mine is on the fedex truck tonight

13. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Its probably the new WiFi Remote.

14. JAYGEE thread starter macrumors member

JAYGEE

Any links??

That would be interesting, if true. I can't imagine how, as I'm sure the internal speaker wont be powerful enough to produce these sounds :confused:

Maybe there is some software, from the App store, that allows the sound to come out of a Mac/PC, that is on the same wifi network? Can the Remote App do that?

15. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

You can still play games even if you can't hear them. I recommend staying away from the music apps if you don't like wearing headphones. As for internal speakers, I've got several player that include one. None produce sounds worth listening to, especially not for music.

16. JAYGEE thread starter macrumors member

JAYGEE

Takes the fun out of it a bit. Could use the headphones, while playing a game, but if I am with friends, it will be a bit boring for the people who can't use the headphones :(

17. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Bottom line, if you want external speakers without a wire, buy an iPhone. It just doesn't look like they're going to add them anytime soon.

18. brandonzar macrumors regular

I just got the iphone and handed down the touch to my wife, in the end I really wanted the speaker, it wasn't the only reason, but it was a big part of the decision. I've played games on both now and the experience is far better with the external speaker. It may not be a really high quality speaker but it is good enough for game sounds and alarms, it is much better than the internal speaker in the touch.

19. nuzzy macrumors member

I just want the speaker option on the Touch so I can use the PhoneSaber app :)

20. motownflip macrumors regular

amen. this would be terrible.

21. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

There is only one (1) version of the iPod touch, and it does NOT have speakers, or even a single speaker.

What do you have that makes you think otherwise?

22. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

There is this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqsXas2Q3fk - option.

23. B1gMac macrumors regular

B1gMac

Would it be possible to use your computer's speakers to play the music from your iPod wirelessly (kinda like airtunes)? It would be nice to be able to listen to the Super Monkey Ball music/ sound fx without having to wear the earbuds. I tend to rip them out of my ears with all the tilting.

24. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

none of the other ipods have a touch screen so why should the touch?

25. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

you're asking why iPod touch has a touchscreen?

It's called iPod touch, not iPod touch with speakers.

(note, I've started dropping the 'the's when talking about iPods and iPhone.... because Steve does it for some reason)