iPod Touch failure - Go to Apple store for repair or online?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jkd123, Jul 9, 2008.

1. jkd123 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    Had some freak incident happen to my 16 Gb Touch last night - plugged it in to sync and charge, and it just died mid-sync. Thought the battery might be really drained, so I left it alone for a while and still no response. Tried holding down the buttons to reset, no response. It almost seems as if something in the power management system just blew, because there's no sign of life in it at all.

So here's the question - I live in St. John's, Newfoundland away from any Apple stores; however, I'm leaving in 3 hours to drive to Montreal for the weekend (yes, worst time to lose an iPod...syncing the ol' reliable 3G now!) and I just discovered that there's a store in Laval that I can reach by subway.

So, from anyone's experience, is this the type of issue where I would go to the store this weekend, see someone at the genius bar, they'd say 'yep, it's screwed' and i'd walk out with a new one? Or would they hold it, send it back and expect me to pick it up there in a week or something (which I can't do, because I'll be home by then?)

Or is it just easier to save myself the subway ride and order the repair online?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (especially before i hit the road!)

John

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

It couldn't hurt to take it in. If they decide just to replace it, problem solved. If they want to keep it for repairs, explain your situation. They can set you up a case number which can be accessed by any other apple store, and probably can be used to mail it in for repair.

I had MBP issues last December, it was minor though and during exams so I couldn't afford having the local Apple Store keeping it for a few days. And I was going home to Dallas a few days later for the holidays. I explained this to the genius and he provided me with the case number which a genius in Dallas could pull up. He had even worked in the Dallas store I was taking it to previously and personalized the report in the computer.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might get more responses if you posted this in the proper forum. There is a forum called iPod Touch, which is more appropriate than Mac Basics and Help.

4. jkd123 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!
    i was considering cross posting it over there if i didn't get any response...but your glimmer of hope that I could leave the store with a new one is enough to convince me to make the trek up!