iPod touch (Fall 2009), not (3rd Generation)?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Voidness, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I noticed something odd in iTunes 9 release notes:

Why is Apple referring to both the classic and touch as (Fall 2009) models, not by generation as usual. Could this mean something?

2. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

let it be......:D i wish.... less hope for a new ipod touch released as late as march 2010

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    There we go. I will refer to it as iPod touch L2009. :)

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

5. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Thank you for finding this! I was looking through support pages to see if I could find what Apple listed it as, because I was doubting this was the true 3G. Now there is hope! :D

@SnowLeopard2008:
    Probably not. The iPod classic didn't get any changes and it's also listed as fall 2009, but the iPod nano is listed as 5G.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Probably because nothing really changed, except for a internal refresh.

7. fernande-mac macrumors regular

Just a Minor Update To Keep It Alive

Yeah, it feels more like an iPod Touch 2Gs. Just faster and bigger, but not earth shattering.

8. MVApple macrumors 6502a

If they changed the naming system it would have applied to the Nano as well. It's possible something odd is going on with Apple. Not so much because we didn't see a camera, but because there is no 16GB model. It doesn't make any sense at all the leap frog the 16GB model.

9. picollus macrumors member

A new name scheme like (season - year) implie a release schedure with multiple bump & new feature release instead of a 'New generation' annual release scheme !

Unfortunatly we were yesterday in a bump only !

10. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

I was thinking the same - why not have a 16Gb third gen product, it'd slot in nicely between the £150 8Gb and £230 32Gb. Only reason I can think of is it's not cost effective for Apple to do so. The 8Gb model is, presumably, old stock and using up the 4Gb chips they have left (or can buy very cheaply). The 32 and 64 models are using 16 and 32Gb chips, same as the current iPhone models, so presumably Apple are getting a serious bulk discount. Maybe getting 8Gb chips just for a 16Gb iPod isn't going to be a big enough order to get a decent profit margain on it? That's assuming of course that the current 8Gb iPhone 3G is just end of line stock.

I find myself in a really odd position of wanting desperately to upgrade my first gen Touch and not really having a product to buy. 16Gb is enough for me (although 32 would be nice) but 8Gb is waaaay too small. I play a lot of games on the system so I'd want the latest processor / GPU combo but that's not enough on its own to get me to stump up for a third gen Touch. The iPhone has a ton of functionality that I can see myself using and I'd love to go that route but I need to decide if £30 a month (the cheapest iPhone tarrif) is worth it on top of the £180-ish it costs to buy the device. Tricky choice really....

11. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

jan 2010 will be when ipod touch 3G is released. mark my words.

12. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I don't think it is the 3rd generation...

I keep checking Apple support to find out for sure. The iPod nano 5th generation is up yet the update for the classic and touch is not there.:confused:

Anyway to find out what the hell it is?

13. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I am thinking the same... ;)

This new Touch is not the 3rd Gen!

14. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

Has anybody contacted Apple support?

Trying to figure this out... I remember a while back there was a screen shot with of different names like "iprod" "ipod 2,2" , etc

could be the iPod touch 2,2

15. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Why would they want it out right after the holiday season? They missed the money if January is the case.

16. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

That would make sense since it's essentially, 'chapter,section.'

Second Generation iPod Touch, Second Edition.

The 'Fall 2009' is quite common on their computers. Usually they use Early xxxx, Summer xxxx, and Late xxxx for them though.

17. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

tomorrow I will go to the Apple store and check the serial numbers to see since I have no way of calling Apple support.

All signs point to this being an update so I would seriously hold off buying the "new" one until it is known for sure what it is.

18. picollus macrumors member

check this post by me : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=784043