iPod touch: features similar to iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MiamiHeat305, Jun 10, 2010.

1. MiamiHeat305 macrumors newbie

I'm excited and ready to purchase the new iPhone 4, but before I place the 500 dollar deposit and commit to a 2 year contract with AT&T, I'd like to know if the 4 generation iPod will have the exact same features as the iPhone 4 - of course excluding the phone part and some apps - since iPhones and iPod touchs are often created & design alike spec wise... Also, do you think there'll ever be a wifi/3g iPod touch, kinda similar to the iPad data plan?

I can see: a new camera, retina display and facetime possibly on the new iPod touch! what's your thoughts?

If these questions were asked already, please post the url, so I can follow up!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wouldn't we all? Nobody really knows. Wait until September.

3. MiamiHeat305 thread starter macrumors newbie

@miles01110

easier said than done; I know if i don't purchase the iPhone 4 on release date, it'll be a few more weeks/months before I'll be able to get one. And I'd hate to buy one then have the iPod touch come out with all the exact features, minus that darn 2 year contract... There has got to be someone out there that knows a lil more about this, but is keeping their mouths close, come out and talk :eek:... Nonetheless, I guess I'll wait it out, and hopefully make the right decision!

- peace!

4. spicyj macrumors member

One thing you should know is that it's possible to buy a "no commitment" iPhone from the Apple store where you go in and pay $400 more (so $600 or $700 for the new ones), but are not required to get AT&T service. You can use it indefinitely as an iPod touch (albeit more expensive) and can still get phone service without a contract for it in the future if you want.

5. brendu macrumors 68020

could you use it for skype or google voice calling without activating it with ATT?

6. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

paying $400 more can buy you two ipod touches.

7. jampat macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine Apple bothering to make a 3g iPod touch, that is a lot of work and the hardware is almost exactly the same as the iPhone. If you want a 3G iPod touch, buy an iphone and just buy a data plan with no voice plan.

I would expect a camera and retina on the new touch, I'm not sure whether they will include facetime or whether that will be one of the killer (?) apps that makes you step up to the iPhone.