iPod Touch firmware

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BillyCutter, Sep 13, 2008.

1. BillyCutter macrumors newbie

I'm a complete iPod Touch noob, so I have two pretty simple questions before I buy one.

Does the new 2nd generation iPod Touch come with the new 2.1 firmware? And has an iPod Touch a unique device id like the iPhone?

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

What do you mean, "unique" id? If you mean serial number, of course.

If you mean philosophically, I don't know. I would think the iPod touch feels like an imitator, a cheap copy (which is odd 'cause it's about the same or more expensive) of it's big brother. Its new sub-par internal speaker and volume controls like the iPhone aren't going to help, either. But wait! It has one redeeming feature it got before the iPhone! Nike+ support! It's just a shame almost no one uses it.

4. BillyCutter thread starter macrumors newbie

No I really mean a unique number that your iPod Touch gets, one that serves as proof for its uniqueness, a unique code that developers use to for example send you reviewcopies of games.

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I didn't know the iPhone had that.

6. BillyCutter thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep it has one :)

So all the new iPod Touches have firmware 2.1?

7. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I would assume that they would comes with 2.1 since it released the same day as the new iPod touch.

At the very least, it has 2.0 since it comes with the app store and all of those apps that the original did not come with.

8. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

Yes all the new ipod touches have 2.1. Also all touches have a UDID, or unique deice identifier. It is used to make sure the device is yours i think, if you return it. Also I think its used to entitle the device to use your itunes account on it, it allows you to authorize the ipod permissions to buy stuff. Finally know for a fact it is used so that developers can put ad hoc copys of their apps onto your device either for debugging, or maybe your the dev's best friend

9. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

That makes sense.

10. BillyCutter thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks, that's all the info I needed! :)