iPod Touch FM unlock...?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gino76ph, Apr 5, 2010.

1. gino76ph macrumors newbie

hiya i'm planning to buy a 3rd-gen iPod touch and was reading thru the features and notes on the device.

roughly 6-8 months ago i heard that Apple is releasing an app/firmware update to unlock the dormant FM radio on th iPod Touch (and iPhone) but since then we havn't heard of it.

is this true? will we see this feature in the 4.0 update? or from a new hardware?

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

There has been no official confirmation of any kind whatsoever of what's going to be present in OS 4.0. There will be a media release this coming Thursday which will offer us a preview of 4.0, so if an FM radio tuner is in the works, we'll probably know then.

We know that the 3rd generation iPod touch hardware does have an FM tuner chip inside -- it's the same chip that provides WiFi and Bluetooth. However, we do not have any evidence to suggest whether there is a connection for an FM antenna, which would be necessary in order to actually use the tuner. No antenna connection equals no FM tuner, no matter what new software Apple comes up with.

Personally, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

3. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

Headphones that are plugged into the device are commonly used as antennae for receiving radio. I believe this is how the FM tuner on the Nano works.

And the 2nd Generation iPod, along with the new 32gb and 64gb models, have the same Broadcom wireless chip, that includes WiFi, Bluetooth, and FM. So if an unlock is forthcoming in 4.0, everyone apart from the 1st Generation users will be able to take advantage.