iPod Touch for golf GPS?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sp71Supra, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Sp71Supra macrumors regular

I did a search on ipod touch for gps and noticed it goes not have gps built in like the iphone. I did however hear of a craddle adaptor of some sort? One of my dads friends is an avid golfer and is ready to go out and buy an iphone just for this feature but already has an ipod touch. What are his options? He has Verizon and wants this bad enough to switch, pay etf, and get an iphone. However if there is some way to do this with his touch he is willing to buy an adaptor. I believe the app is called GolfLogix.

Thanks.

PS- would another alternative be a used iphone and just get a data plan on it? Is that even possiable?

2. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I dont think you can get GPS on the ipod touch, but if he were to buy a iPhone without the contract/discount he could get a data plan only.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

why buy an iPhone for it? There are plenty of decent GPS handhelds for less than $200. Even if you buy an iPhone or find a gps attachment for the iPod Touch, they are not that useful on a golf course. They actually make GPS devices specifically for golfers and they have profiles in them for different golf courses.

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I guess that would be better unless he wants to replace his phone.

5. ronster22 macrumors member

On my iPod Touch 3G, I currently use the Golfshot app to track my scores. It currently syncs with all the courses in BC and Washington for free, unlike the golf specific GPS units where you have to play for each course you download (ok if you play 1 or 2 courses). A decent golf specific one is around 300 bucks.

It's one of the highest rated golf apps. Also there are numerous golfers who say the GPS in the iPhone is just as accurate as the golf specific GPS units.

The Golfshot GPS version (for iPhone) is 29.99 (one time fee), and again no annual or per course subscription. The Lite version is specific for iPod Touch (no GPS).

But as you found out, iPod Touch doesn't have GPS. So either I JB my Touch, use roqyBT to pair a bluetooth GPS unit to it (hopefully the full Golfshot version works with the GPS) or like your buddy is thinking, buy a iPhone 3G or 3GS.

And you don't need the data plan for the Golfshot GPS to work on the iPhone (the only thing Golfshot uses 3G is for the overhead aerial hole shots and maybe syncing you scorecards / courses if you are not near WiFi).

Food for thought.