iPod Touch, Fourth Generation. Why and what; An Information Thread.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by EllieV, May 17, 2010.

1. EllieV macrumors 6502

There haven't been many solid rumors, but what there has been, and what I think is reasonable, has been compiled here.

Well first, let's get to the obvious, we KNOW there will be a next gen iPod Touch soon. iPod updates are always in September and the iTouch has kept the same look for basically 3 years. And iPod 4,1 most likely means 4g Touch.

What will be added?

Screen: If iPhone is getting FFS and a Resolution Update, do you think Touch will get it? The screen might also be thinner, to support battery room.

Camera: A heated debate. I think we all (insane people not included) have to agree that a camera is needed. Even though we all (most likely, I know some of you don't) have a cellphone with a camera, we need a camera on the touch. There are hundreds, maybe even thousands of apps in the app store which utilizes the camera (bar code scanners, little camera apps, etc.) I REALLY hope that the camera will come in the 4g Touch.
    As for front-facing camera, no way. A front-facing camera is one of the things that the iPhone needs in order to be "better" than the touch.
    (I am NOT going on my shpeal about why a camera is needed. I will easily mow you down, if you are an opposer)

Shape/Device look:I think that the new shape of the iPhone would be, as i said above, something that the iPhone needs in order to be "better". But I also think that Apple would not let the touch have the same look/design for 3 years on a row. It may get a refresh like the iPhone, or be something totally unexpected.

Memory and RAM: In order to better support iPhone OS 4.0, the touch will need more memory and RAM, most likely dropping the 8gb, and possibly expanding to 96+. The next-gen iPhone is rumored to have 512 MB of RAM, making that a possible update for the 4gen.

Battery Size: We all (hopefully) know the battery is atleast 16% larger on the 4g iPhone. That may be applied to 4g Touch, due to it advertised as a gaming device (and we all know what gaming apps do to our batteries).

External Buttons: There have not been any rumors about this. There might be a button to lock the screen orientation in place, but, there haven't been any solid rumors about this, so we do not know

I will probably update this when I think of more things to add and/or are requested to.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If there's a new physical button, it'll most likely be for locking the orientation, I think.

3. Espionage32 macrumors regular

I wish the Ipod Touches would have a better color selection. That would also be something unique to the item.

4. na1577 macrumors 6502a

There's already a software switch for that in OS 4.

The current touch is 3,1. The next touch will be 4,1.

"The current iPod touch carries a designation of "iPod3,1", and the new entry presumably refers to the next-generation model set for launch in the September timeframe if previous releases are any indication."
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/05...eferences-to-new-iphone-ipod-and-ipad-models/

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That doesn't mean it wouldn't be easier to use a physical one. ;)

That's the only thing I can think of. I think having a dedicated camera button goes against Apple's design ideals. Somehow, it just doesn't seem to mesh with everything else. The iPhone doesn't have one (and won't, if rumors/leaked prototypes are to be believed). Of course, I don't think it has a physical button for orientation lock either.

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

We'll all see in probably around August; a month before September(most likely release date).

7. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

In an ideal world, Apple would just remove the 3G radio from the iPhone and sell that as the iPod touch. But we all know that giving the consumer what they want is not part of Apple's business model. Consumers get what Apple deems appropriate and on an incremental timetable to maximize profits.

8. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

I agree on the lock. Yes the iOS 4 has it butnit would make so much more sense to have a switch. I mean the iPad has it and it will get iOS 4 in the fall, most lily during the iPod event.

9. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Maybe.
    Whats the orientation? Sorry, i dont have an ipod touch (yet).
    That would be cool, except it wouldnt be showing much, cause I'll have a case. We'll all see around August, once again.