iPod Touch Future Features wishlist?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by maestrocasa, Nov 11, 2007.

1. maestrocasa macrumors regular

I'm loving the new iPod touch (from afar, of course. my 5G video will have to last a bit longer) But in my test runs of the touch, I've noticed some things lacking:

1) there are no tactile controls. that's great, if you can look at the screen everytime you need to do something. but how about if you're jogging or driving or something and want to change song or volume? any thoughts on future versions of the touch having a few physical buttons (like on the side) or maybe even a wired remote ala 2G iPod?

2) still no fm radio? come on. sure, you can listen to radio on internet, IF you're in a hotspot, but I would think that by now we could have radio.

any thoughts on these features?

what features would you like to see?

2. Pathfinder55 macrumors 6502

I agree with you completly. Ecspecally the radio one, I hope that will be in the next update.

3. phytonix macrumors 6502

I don't think Apple has any plan for FM radio. If they have, they should have done that a few generations ago.

The biggest feature I want, is that iPod touch should enjoy exactly the same apps as iPhone, minus the phone part.

4. nlivo macrumors 6502a

what i have always wanted (even before the iPhone was even shown in January) was a camera on my iPod. Just a little one, nothing too fancy. It would be great to quickly snap shots, and you have a HUGE mirror if you want to take photos of you and another person (you might need a physical button if you want do that though, maybe just squeeze the sides). Then when you get to some Wi-Fi, email them to someone, chuck them on facebook (wasnt there a rumour apple and facebook were teaming up), set the photo for a contact. It would be GREAT!!!! software wise, i still really want some games for my iPod touch.

5. frogcat macrumors member

Totally agree with all the iphone features. Other than that, Notes really needs to be in here, or some text editor. And in the future...there should be some kind of attachable keyboard so i dont have to carry my laptop around, and just take notes with my ipod. Then I could transfer everything to my laptop after lectures. That would be sweet.

6. nirvana06 macrumors regular

7. nlivo macrumors 6502a

oh, and also....I would love a little feature where if you tap icons in the toolbar a little bubble will show up (much like when you tap and hold links down in safari) and it'll give you some info. Tap the battery icon it'll give you the percentage in a bubble, tap wifi and it'll give you a more detailed icon of how much signal you are getting in a little bubble, tap the alarm logo and it'll give you the time the alarm will go off etc.

8. Galaxius macrumors newbie

A camera might be a bit overkill but I probably would use one anyways :p.

In terms of Apple and Facebook, they originally were partners of some sort with the Apple students group and free iTunes downloads, but Microsoft got involved so I doubt that'll happen anytime soon :(

9. gtatech macrumors newbie

Radio, Remote control and more

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post so please bear with me.

FM may be not cool enough for the touch but the Radio Remote is great and it would be awesome if Apple could get their own accessory working with the touch.

I just updated to 1.1.2 firmware and the Radio Remote still says not supported on iPod! This disappointing since Apple is a company that builds itself with the image that "our stuff works". Understandably, re-writing the FM application was probably not high on the features priority list, and seeing how the touch is a spin off of the iphone, Apple probably did not consider FM as a feature that the iPhone user base would want but it is something that this ipod user wants.

More importantly, since the touch doesn't have any buttons to allow us to pause, adjust volume etc. like the iPhone (not that I want them buttons to ruin the aesthetics), the Radio remote would double as a remote to allow us keep it tucked away safe while on the go.

As a blackberry user I could care less about the PDA functions on the touch as I don't intend to use my ipod for these types of functions, although with the latest firmware it is nice to see that you can now add an event to the calendar directly on the touch without depending on iCal :) Score one for the company that kept one of its promises!

Apple, Apple on the wall how about enabling BlueTooth for us all?
    That would open up a whole galaxy of possibilities and endless accessories.

Last but not least, how about storing streamed content (on the fly of course), like those videos in our You Tube favourites.

10. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I reckon the next iPod touch (hardware wise) will have Bluetooth, a camera and will probably be 16 and 32 gb in sizes. I am guessing this'll come around September next year. That or macworld '09.

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

my needs are much more simple lol I just want a fully complient mail app that 100% works lol I cant get the current iPhone mail app to work with yahoo mail only my gmail account

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

In no particular order:
    Bluetooth with PAN support
    VPN
    A scratch resistant non-chrome back
    All the iPhone Apps that are non-phone related (i.e. Mail, Stocks, Maps and Notes)
    "Tap and Hold" context sensitive menus

13. JPJones macrumors member

I'd like the ability to store text or pdf files for viewing on the iPod.

14. hecks macrumors regular

My top wishes at the moment are all about text:

1) I'd *really* like to be able to see the full titles of songs, albums, etc., in every view, including iTunes. Actually, side-scrolling text whenever the view truncates it - in any app - would be best of all.

2) More Info button for podcasts, to see text description.

3) No truncation of YouTube info text, or some way of seeing what's truncated. Links to comments would be nice too.

4) Links to reviews in iTunes. More info options would be good here generally for albums.

5) Lyrics support.

etc.

and then, super-high priority:

6) ability to save pages from Safari

15. seanm924 macrumors newbie

FM Radio & bluetooth. There is absolutely no reason why the touch doesn't have these - you can buy wifi chips the exact same size as the touch's that include both of these.

16. Speakeasi macrumors newbie

Wireless Headphones please!

I use my touch all the time as a simple address book and calendar, portable photo album and of course music player, it's always in my pocket. But when I reach into my pocket for some change or keys, I get tangled up in headphone cables. Something similar to the bluetooth headset for the iPhone would be great, would need to be stereo of course!

I've just found that you can get them in the apple store but ouch! They're expensive! http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj.../shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/extras&nplm=TL680

17. sirwilliamix macrumors newbie

I would really really really hope for anywhere online access. even if a meager fee is required having internet anywhere via a satellite or how cell phones get it through their carrier would be a much appreciated addition, don't you think?

18. sammyAD macrumors member

The biggest things i want can probably be done through a firmware update

1. track progress slider when double-tapping home
    2. flash support for safari
    3. scrolling text for long filenames

19. natezire71 Guest

more wallpapers, i know its stupid, but, i hate the ones it comes with, oh, and maybe to change fonts, another dumb thing to say

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Assuming no hardware changes:

Sync via WiFi
    iPhone applications
    Internet radio (without hacking)
    Easier access to volume control

And a really easy one:

An included slipcase made out of the same material as the polishing cloth.

21. Crash-n-Burn macrumors regular

I would love to have:

Bluetooth
    802.1x (Stupid school)

22. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

email, weather, stock without hacking, 802.11n wireless, bluetooth, more capacity like 32GB.

23. chall5 macrumors regular

1. external volume control/track skip

2. scrolling for long track names

3. ability to delete songs from iPod on iPod (like you can do with videos)

4. ability to remove the bar along the top with iPod on the left and the clock on the right ie. go fullscreen

5. ability to view info on mp3s such as bitrate

24. dcv macrumors G3

I agree with a few of those already posted...

- a speaker so more than one person can listen to YouTube / iTunes movie etc
    - Google Maps and some of the other iPhone apps
    - Flash support would be nice for certain websites
    - Bluetooth for file transfer from your mac/mobile phone and the ability to browse the directory structure, i.e. not having to 'sync' everything though iTunes