Ipod Touch G1 or G2

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Brax, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Brax macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, am new on the forums. Found this site while looking for info my Ipod Touches and this site had a lot of good info.

So I was looking to get an Ipod Touch and luckily I found out that my my banks reward catalogue has an Ipod Touch up for grabs.

I checked and I have enough points, but one thing i realised was that on the catalogue it did not state whether it was a G1 or G2 Ipod Touch. Based on the specs they posted I believe it is a g1 due to the weight.

Checked on the forums here and found the differences between G1 and G2 which I have pasted below.

I need opinions really, as I can't decide. Should I go ahead and get a G1 or wait and see if they come out with a G2?

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE FIRST AND SECOND GENERATION IPOD TOUCH

Wi Fi receiver
    - The Wi Fi receiver on the first generation iPod touch is situated in the upper left-hand corner of the backplate, and is very square-shaped.
    - The receiver on the second generation touch is more of an oval shape and is situated between the upper left-hand corner and the center of the backplate.

Backplate
    - The backplate on the first gen touch is rather flat, and curves only at the edges.
    - The backplate on the second gen touch is tapered; it's thicker at the middle and curves around to become thinner at the edges (much like the iPhone 3G).

Thickness
    - Contrary to what some people say, the second gen touch is actually 0.5mm thicker than the first gen.

Bezel
    - The first gen touch has a black aluminum bezel around the screen.
    - The second gen touch has a chrome bezel, like the iPhone, which is in fact a continuation of the chrome backplate that curves around to "hug" the screen.

Volume controls
    - The first gen touch features no external volume controls.
    - The second gen touch has volume controls on the left-hand side of the device (when looking at it from the front).

Packaging
    - The first gen touch comes in a black box. "iPod touch", the Apple logo and the device's capacity are embossed on the sides. The front of the box shows the iPod touch playing music (usually the box will display either a Macy Gray or John Lennon song playing).
    - The second gen touch comes in a clear plastic box, like the iPod nano and shuffle. Over the iPod is a sticker which shows the default look of the Home screen.

MISCELLANEOUS
    - The second gen touch has an inbuilt speaker. The first gen does not.
    - The second gen touch has Nike+iPod support, whilst the first gen does not.
    - The second gen supports audio recording and headphones with a microphone and volume controls.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The 2nd gen is definitely an improvement over the first, but I know there are some people that refuse to sell their 1st gen ones because they think the updates weren't enough. If you can live without external volume controls, a speaker and, soon, bluetooth (which is being unlocked in the 2nd gen soon, but not in the 1st gen as it doesn't have the bluetooth chip) then get the 1st gen.

Wow, way to copy my post from another thread... :p

3. Brax thread starter macrumors newbie

Grinz, well your post provided excellent information. I nearly got the G1, but thanks to your post I was able to know more.

So I am putting it on Hold at the moment.

Was hoping someone that had both would be able to let me know how much difference it makes having those features.

4. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I have both and only bought the G2 to get the 32GB storage since I already had a 16GB G1. I know the G1 had a 32GB model but I thought I'd get the latest model.

The more I used the G2 the more I preferred it over the G1. The tapered case feels much better in the hand; external volume controls are so useful you wonder why the first one never had it; the speaker is quite useful- I use my touch as timer when cooking, or an alarm clock, or playing games without having to use earbuds; faster processor makes it a little more responsive than the G1; I love using the voice recording features; it just feels like a much more refined product.

I don't think you'll regret spending a little more to get the G2.

5. brax.j macrumors regular

6. larapumkin macrumors regular

2g faster

2g is faster on syncin with itunes.
    transfering musics r almost 1.5 times faster than 1g.
    get 2g if u hav enough budget