iPod touch getting updated?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stinkfist, Jul 21, 2008.

1. stinkfist macrumors newbie

I am getting a good deal from local retailer for an iPod touch.
    But I wanted to check wether there's price drop or new model of it is coming because Apple updates iPods usually in September.
    I don't want to feel bad in just 1 month.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

There's plenty of threads about this already. As you said historically the pods get updated in september. That's all anyone outside Apple currently knows. You can check out the buyer's guide for the latest macrumors stories/rumours about the touch.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

higher capacities. short of a redesign.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

how so? http://www.macrumors.com/members/buyersguide/ when I clicked it never worked just got php errors so I then clicked on the buyers guide link at top of page as it seemed to work better :p

7. Shadydude macrumors newbie

And when the Touch gets updated...

When the Touch does get updated, does anyone speculate that 2.0 will be sold with the new Touch product? It seems reasonable to believe so, since after the January update, the updated Touches were sold with all 5 new apps for the same price as the previous iPod Touch.

Wrong assumption? :confused:

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

well I wouldn't say it would have 2.0 on it as sept is 2 months away and we will hopefully see a more stable firmware released but yeh we should see the new ipod with the latest firmware on at launch............. hopefully, I couldn't see them releasing a new ipod with old firmware

9. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I suppose that's a reasonable assumption, but that's assuming that the Touch WILL get an update, of course! If the only change is capacity or price, then I wouldn't be too surprised if it wasn't included.

But, like everything else said, this is pure speculation.

10. danb77 macrumors 6502

I am noticing a *lot* of refurb Touches both at 8Gig and 16Gig floating around the 'net at the moment - including the Apple Store.

Could this be a sign that they are trying to sell off old stock prior to a refresh or is it common in a high selling product like the Touch to have so many refurbs?

Full disclosure - I am in the market for a Touch (darned Mobile contract locks me in for another year! So no iphone for me till Summer 09!)

11. Mr.Jones macrumors newbie

I've noticed a lot refurbs too and my guess is that there will be a slight price drop in September...

And as far as your iPhone "predicament", I've heard of AT&T paying for some people's contract termination fees with other carriers.

12. danb77 macrumors 6502

I wish! I am in the UK unfortunately - very unlikely that O2 would offer this here - though I'd be very happy to be corrected...

13. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If they don't add stereo bluetooth I'll be sadly disappointed. Some rumors hint at adding GPS, mainly to improve Google maps and location using apps.

14. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

I hope to see:

• a HD based one. Replacing the classic with storage starting at 80GB and 160GB. Both will have wi-fi, user replacable battery, al lthe current ipod touch/iphone features just no phone (meaning GPS, external speaker, physical buttons on the outside for volume, play/pause etc
    • The current ipod touch will replace the ipod nano
    • Shuffle will eirther get a screen or be discountuned
    • iTunes 8.0.

15. stinkfist thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys.
    I think the wise thing would be to hold my horses for a month or so.

16. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

my ipod touch's headphone jack stop working (should have gotten apple care :rolleyes:) but i'm waiting till at least mid september.

I was a bit disapointed last year when I found out the ipod touch was in 4 and 8GB models wanted a 160GB one.... may be this year...

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The touch came in 8 and 16GB models and then a 32GB was added later (never was a 4GB). It was the original iPhone that came in 4 and 8GB versions. It's rather unlikely you'll be getting a 160GB model this year.

18. dark-saito macrumors regular

First one the list: Very Unlikely. 80 gig flash drive? 160?! Do you have any idea how expensive that could end up being? "-.- Of course it would have wifi, but user replaceable battery? C'mon it's apple we're talking about here. GPS... eh it could happen not too likely though. Speakers and volume buttons are a possibility though.

Second: ...No.
    Third: ...Hell No.
    Fourth: Probably.

19. wavoka macrumors newbie

Which is probably why he said "a HD based one"

20. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

A price drop, as well as a built in camera will be enough to persuade me to buy a touch. :)

21. dark-saito macrumors regular

Whoops so sorry i saw HD and thought High Definition. ^^"

22. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

All this would be nice, but none of it seems likely in the near future :(

23. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Adding a camera would be more than enough for me to upgrade!!