iPod touch glass replacement (8GB)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by takao47, Aug 8, 2010.

1. takao47 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I am an iPod touch newbie with no spec knowledge etc... and now I want to replace cracked display glass. So far I still can use it but very bad screen visibility...

I googled and went to eBay stores to look for a replacement glass but there are so many replacement glasses out there...

1. So I need to determine which generation (1, 2 or 3rd gen.)of iPod?
    2. I am wondering that do I have to replace a digitizer as well?

I do appreciate your help.

Please look at attached photos.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

It seems to me that it is the 2nd generation iPod Touch. That aluminum backing looks pretty banged up, what happened?

3. Aero26 macrumors regular

That looks like a 2G/3G. If it still connects to itunes, find out the serial number and you can make sure. I'm pretty sure they use the same LCD's anyway. The digitizer only needed replacing if you've also lost touch responsiveness.

Did your iPod get run over by a Hummer? :p

4. takao47 thread starter macrumors newbie

willbro, Aero26 - Thanks for info
    Indeed it is pretty bad shape. I used at home reno sites (of the Habitat Humanity) and dropped hand tools (drills, nail boxes you name it) few times over an iPod. What I was doing...
    There were meant for unintentional Non-Destructive Test few times and survived until finally the glass was brocken... ;)

5. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

The front glass\digitizer is all one unit, you will also need a new midframe\bezel which is a plastic frame that locks the glass\digitizer into place as that will break when you remove the broken glass.

You will need to cut out your old home button component (2 parts, the button and the circuit flex) which is attached to the bezel and then remount it on the new bezel then stick the glass\digitizer to the bezel sandwiching the button piece between which is a pain.

I have replaced a number of units and it is a lot easier to buy a complete replacement front unit which includes the glass\digitizer, midframe and a new home button component all pre assembled. This way you just need to remove the broken parts, attach one ribbon cable and snap the new unit into place.

I have always used this guy for parts, and never had any problems with his quality or service, he is very helpful and he always includes the plastic tools needed to open the touch.

My only warning would be that the LCD that lies underneath is very fragile and as the clips that hold it together lock so tightly it can be a nerve racking and slow process to gently wedge the thing open and snap it all back together. Be very cautious if you start to feel overly much resistance at any time as the slightest bit of pressure in the wrong place can easily crack the LCD.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...with the price you can get a new unit for on ebay or walmart and the refresh coming in Sept = is this even worth the cost for parts and time to try and fix?

7. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I don't think you can get a new unit for under $20.00 which is what the parts needed to do the repair would cost.

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

...... Uhhmmmm.... Thats not very good for an iPod... Just FYI. Just buy one off of ebay and then replace it with the prying tools. Shouldnt be that difficult.

9. takao47 thread starter macrumors newbie

tadad1
    I do appreciate seller lead, I looked around and that 'this guy' looks like sp far the best deal, so I will go for fix myself.

liamkp
    Indeed I should look for Makita Job Site Radio or something durable, but the problem is T-Pain Auto-tune to goof around. That is pretty important.

10. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Nice, I've been meaning to fix my 2g iPod Touch 32gb screen for a while. Here's a pic of the cracks (Too big to put in: http://shahryar.net/items/20100902_cracked_ipod_touch_screen.jpg )

I just dropped it face down the other day and the crack extended/new cracks came so I'm glad I didn't do it earlier because it could have just broken again. Also I think I want to replace the battery since it seems it doesn't last as long anymore. I figure while I'm in there I should go ahead and take care of that too.

I wish I could increase the iPod Touch's memory while I'm in there but seems I can't: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10979844#post10979844