Ipod touch got wet, what to do?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by unlamo14, Jan 5, 2009.

1. unlamo14 macrumors newbie

So this is what happened. my touch got a LITTTLE itty bit wet. and i guess...it went right into the charger thingie. because after it got wet it started to crackle. YES. i said crackle. kinda like a weird staticky-fire kinda noise. And it got really hot at the bottom 1/4 of the touch. and...it smelled like burnt plastic. while the rest stayed cool. I heard something about seeing red when you look down the headphone jack..so i did that, and yes i saw red.

my question is, is it fried? can i do anything about it? if i try to return it under the apple 1 year warranty will they know it was actually my fault and not even do anything about it?

thanks in advance

2. biikman macrumors regular

first, do not turn it on. Put it in a bag with uncooked rice for at least 2 days before plugging it to remove any moisture inside it. Apple will check the moisture indicator and will most likely reject a warranty replacement since it it red and indicates water exposure.

3. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Apple will check the water indicator and if it is red will reject any warranty claim.

Don't turn it on and put it in a warm place (an airing cupboard or the like) for a few days to see if it will dry out.

4. unlamo14 thread starter macrumors newbie

another thing, whenti was crackling i realized later taht the funny smell was...burning plastic. so im guessing its as fried as a french fry.

5. ercanbas macrumors regular

You got it wet? I would dim the lights to maintain the mood. Start off with a massage and work your way towards the wet spot. Then when you hit the right button I promise you it will turn on and when it turns on, slide your finger and see what happens. Endless possibilities...mmmm

6. franzmueller macrumors regular

You fried out your battery .

Next time it happens to you : DO NOT TURN YOUR IPOD ON . leave it several days in a warm place until it´s dry.

If your are lucky , you´ll need a new battery , if not , probably some other wires are burned too

Sorry...

PS: Same with phones or other electronics if they get wet