iPod Touch Grief

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Geek 2.0, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Geek 2.0 macrumors member

Okay, so... *heavy sigh*

My iPod Touch 2G 32GB as of the iPhone 3.0 update has been acting... strange. First it was the volume constantly going up and down without me doing anything. Then it was the external volume buttons not working or worse yet, putting my iPod to sleep. Then it was external buttons not working at all. Sometimes it wouldn't turn on after a reset/hard reset. The most recent one was the backlight not working. I tried many things, and nothing seems to have been helping.

Finally, I gave in and went to https://selfsolve.apple.com and filed for a replacement, with 8 days left on my warranty. It was approved and they're currently shipping me a box to send it back to them for the outrageous shipping price of $30, but I was happy because at least by very very expensive iPod was going to get fixed.

I was concerned because of the "Diagnostics Fee", which can be applied to me if they DON'T find anything wrong with it, which can be up to $100, but I ignored it because I was thoroughly convinced my iPod was messed up.
    Now, I just plugged my iPod in again, and while booting from it's last reset, the backlight mysteriously turned on. This would be a time for rejoicing, if not for the fact that when submitting my claim to Apple, I went with the most severe issue to file it under, which was "backlight is not working". That's a problem. Although there are other problems, I made small mention of them in the ridiculously limited 250 character description of the problem.

Now I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to try and restore (again) and see what happens, not send the box back (and not risk the diagnostics fee), or send it and hope the backlight doesn't work for them either, or if it does then they are gracious enough to see the other problems and deem them severe enough to send me my replacement and NOT charge me the outrageous diagnostics fee.

Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know if the diagnostics fee applies to people inside warranty?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

never heard of a diagnostics fee. I couldn't connect to a
    selfsolve.apple.com

3. Geek 2.0 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, supposed to be a secure link, let me edit that...